a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compass

Started by SpeakEasy, June 09, 2014, 07:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeakEasy

After this extremely hard and cold winter, I returned to sailing in my Compac 23, only to find that the compass and "heel meter?" were no longer functional. There had been some leakage of the fluid inside. Are these units sealed? Is it ruined? If I have to replace it, where should I begin shopping?

Thanks,
-Speak

brackish

When I purchased my boat it did not have a compass.  I bought the least expensive one I could find a Ritchie bulkhead mount unit knowing it would only be a back up for the GPS.  It lasted less than a year and Ritchie replaced it.  The replacement lasted less than a year and they replaced it again. Both did not have covers and the constant UV did them in, they started to leak.   I didn't install the second replacement but bought a slightly better but still bottom of the line Plastimo that had a cover.  It has been on the boat for two years now, but I can't tell you if it is good because I have never taken the cover off. 

I lake sail and on limited occasions go to the Gulf for close in coastal cruising.  I really don't need it for that.  The GPS is much more accurate, reliable and useful.  The Compass and paper charts I keep aboard are strictly for that emergency when the better technology may let me down.  Worth having for insurance, but strictly that.

So you need to ask yourself do I need it, is it just a backup or is it just to make the boat look yachty.  In my case, if I didn't already have that hole in the bulkhead, I probably wouldn't install one, maybe get a good handheld for emergencies.

wes

Most manufacturers offer a repair/rebuild service. What brand is your compass?

My 19 didn't have a compass, so I installed a new Plastimo bulkhead mount and have been very happy with it.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

crazycarl

i have a 15' sailboat for small water.

do i need a compass for navigation?  no.

i find it useful for those times when i ask a passenger new to sailing to take the tiller.

most don't understand the idea of keeping the wind in the sails or plotting a course using land sites, but i
can tell them to keep the needle on a certain degree and away we go.

i found a very reliable airguide compass on ebay for $8.

recently i missed bidding on another one and it went for $26.

the compass is removable and when 1st installed i had it attached with velcro.

i remove it for trailering and winter storage.

cc

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Elk River

I have a very old Danforth compass that I took to a place in Boston when I lived in MA.  They serviced it and refilled it with fluid, so it can be done.  It may be cheaper than purchasing a new, decent compass , especially if you like the one you already have.

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk

kickingbug1

i usually sail towards the sun when i leave the dock and towards the sunset when im done.  has worked so far
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"