News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How do you have your jib furling line routed?

Started by NateD, April 08, 2014, 09:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

I picked up a 1992 CP16 this winter which has a FF1 on the forestay, but it isn't clear how the previous owner ran the furling line back to the cockpit. I would love to hear/see some examples of how people have routed that line and what you would do differently if you could.

JBC

PO on my 16/III attached a fairlead, using a small hose clamp, to the starboard aft post of the bow pulpit, just above the deck, and routed the furling line through that directly to the opening in the cleat on the deck to the right of the hatch that also serves to tie off the main halyard (which runs directly from a cheek block on the bottom of the mast to that starboard cleat).  Keeps from drilling holes in the deck to attach furling line fairleads.  Works well enough, though the angle of the furling line to the fairlead is probably not optimum and means that two lines use the same cleat.  Sorry, don't have any pics of this arrangement.

Jett

NateD

Quote from: JBC on April 08, 2014, 10:25:30 AM
PO on my 16/III attached a fairlead, using a small hose clamp, to the starboard aft post of the bow pulpit, just above the deck, and routed the furling line through that directly to the opening in the cleat on the deck to the right of the hatch that also serves to tie off the main halyard (which runs directly from a cheek block on the bottom of the mast to that starboard cleat).  Keeps from drilling holes in the deck to attach furling line fairleads.  Works well enough, though the angle of the furling line to the fairlead is probably not optimum and means that two lines use the same cleat.  Sorry, don't have any pics of this arrangement.

Jett

So the block attached to the bow pulpit must be up fairly high so that the line clears the front of the cabin trunk? Does it get in the way when you're walking around on the foredeck?

JBC

In the Jan/Feb issue of Small Craft Advisor, I found a picture on p. 10 that shows (sort of) my arrangement...don't have those film slides handy at the moment, but if you have access to that issue (#85), you can see a bit of the way it's rigged.  Also check pictures of the ComPac 16 II/III in the photo gallery section of Sailing Texas...there are a few pics that show some furling line rigging.

The block on my boat is low on the aft bow pulpit stanchion, and faces outward, so the furling line runs from the drum (wound to emerge from the port side of the drum) and crosses over to run outside of the front starboard pulpit stanchion to the block on the aft post.  Then it turns a bit and heads directly to the cleat on the starboard side.  This arrangement clears the cabin hatch cover and does keep the furling line on the starboard deck side...yes it's possible to step on that if standing on the starboard side deck, but the line is never taut except when furling the sail, so it lies limp on the deck the rest of the time.

I do remember, after looking at the picture (boat is still stored) that I changed the mainsail halyard to run through the port side cheek block on the mast, so that it ran to the port cleat, just to keep the furling line and the main halyard from sharing the same cleat.  The furler, of course, has its own internal jib halyard on a CDI system, so there is no regular jib halyard on the mast, at least in my case.

All this assumes the boat has a bow sprit, which juts forward enough to let the furling line run outside of the bow pulpit stanchions.  

Hope this makes sense and helps.

NateD

Interesting, I hadn't thought of running it outside of the bow pulpit. I'm in the processes of selling my house and most of my back issues of SCA are in storage, but I'll see if I still have the Jan/Feb issue in the house. Thanks for the ideas.