a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Owner of CP 16

Started by Alexander, April 07, 2014, 12:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexander

Hello, I'm a new member (Alexander).  We just bought a "to be gradually restored" CP 16. It's a 1977 hull no 508. It's all there and has good sails so as soon as I get one of my 2.5 hp out of storage and running we'll be sailing (Florida). I've been studying these little boats for a long time. This is downsizing for me, having owned and lived aboard several sailboats and trawlers for many years. We also have a "tow boat" , a 30 Mainship Pilot to take the CP 16 cruising with us. It tows beautifully. We towed it home from 75 miles away over the weekend. It will be named "PIPSQUEEK". It has several of the typical problems like wet keel, rotted bunks under the companionway and needs serious cleaning and painting inside. Hull, deck, rudder and all rigging looks fine. Now that I'm an old retired guy I look forward to sailing the bottom off of this little beauty. Thanks for the knowledge base that's on this site, it makes owning one more fun.

atrometer

Welcome.  I too studied them a long time, have had much larger boats, and have lived aboard, and now in FL.  Our 1977 is NEWER than yours - #509 (LOL).

Alexander

HaHa, well maybe if I save up , someday I can get a newer model too. Maybe a 510 or even a 511. One can only dream. Hope to see you sailing some day. Thanks, Bob

Pacman

Welcome!

I sail a 1976 C-16 #217.

Here in Florida you can register your 30+ year old boat as an "Antique Vessel".

Antique vessels are exempt from paying the usual annual registration fee pay a much "service fee" to keep the antique vessel status in effect and we get a really cool sticker too.

I registered mine as an Antique Vessel several years ago
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Alexander

Thanks Pacman, I was told about this by the nice lady at the registration office so I applied and paid the $6. I have to get the antique title to apply for the sticker I think. So far this is the only advantage to having an old boat I've found.