a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Waterline (boot tape)

Started by dontpanic, February 09, 2014, 09:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

The tape at the waterline of my 81 CP16 is in pretty rugged shape.  Has anyone. Replaced this tape?. How difficult a task is this? How do you remove the old and install the new? It seems to me that if the tape is not installed well it will look worse than the old
tape.

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Don't Panic

skip1930

That's a tough one.

You'll need 20 foot of a straight line. Two people. Some very rich soapy water to float the tape into the correct position before squeezing out the water from under neigh.

I have never done a piece this long. Come to think of it I'd place a masking tape line at the top`O the waterline tape and once the masking tape is perfect, I'd pull the waterline tape, then I skinny the waterline tape right up to the masking tape.

Or I assume the bottom paint [?] matches right up to the bottom of the waterline tape. [Wait mine doesn't do that either so not a workable idea] Once you pull the tape, you still have a factory paint line to follow. Maybe you could do something with that.

Oh another way. Can't say it's going to work. I have seen striping tape for cars that is in two pieces on the same backing ... place the lower tape on the paint line. Pull out the backing for both tapes, and when your done, pull off the lower tape. That might look factory.

Check with Wes. I'm out of Rub Goldberg ideas.

To remove the tape use a paint stripping gun and pull off the tape.

skip.

dontpanic

The bottom is not painted. But I like your idea of putting some tape along the top edge of the old tape and then following that tape to fit the new tape.

Not sure why but this doesn't sound easy. I guess it would pay off to try some practice sections.

MacGyver

Dont Panic,

I used to own my own graphics company, so I have outrageous experience doing this on several boats, big and small.

Start by using a 3/4 or 1 inch masking tape, and but the edge of it to the top of the old stripe or the bottom, your choice.
Be sure to press it down very well. It might help to clean the boat with soap and water first and allow it to dry all the way before beginning.

After that is in place beginning to remove the old stripe using a hair dryer and peeling a edge. there will be a sweet spot on the heat where you will just start peeling and heating ahead of the peel. Once the stripe is removed, you will wipe the area with adhesive remover to get the rest of the adhesive off. 3m sells a white and red metal quart can of stuff, works better than most. The stuff that works the best is called RAPIDTAC RAPID REMOVER. It is THE BEST I have ever used and is essentially geared towards sign companies.

After you have done this, wipe the area with water to clean it again. Then check your tape line and fix if needed by this method.
When dry, re-tape along the underside, or above the masking tape line, peel the original masking tape line off, then reapply a new one in the spots or the entire line as needed.
After you are ready with the original tape line in place, you will roll out you stripe and but it against the mask then press into place. This is a acquired skill, very simple, you will just have to learn the behavior of the vinyl stripe.

No need for soapy water, that will complicate things, and no need for application fluid as we called it, that will do the same but it is better than soapy water.

When the stripe is on, you will peel the masking tape off, then press the stripe down real good using a terry or soft cloth between your hand and the stripe, this allows a firm pressure to be applied to the stripe pushing any trapped air out.

The stripe you will buy should be a premium vinyl, and that vinyl will be able to over time release air that is trapped as well to a certain extent. you could use a sewing needle to put a small hole and push the air pocket out to alleviate the air trapped.

I hope this helps. It is the way I did it for years, all sorts of striping, up to 6 inch, down to 1/8 inch.

Boats have to be done this way, because the 2 guys for pin striping doesn't work, due to boat fatness and position of striping.

MacGyver (Missing my graphics business stolen from me when I was struck by lightning)  :( :(
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

jb

I removed the tape and then used Petit boot stripe paint instead of the tape ...pleased with the results

skip1930

Should be noted that excessive 'pulling' on the premium vinyl will distort the width and length. It's stretchy so don't stretch it.

skip.

atrometer

My motto is "If it's important and must look good, hire someone who knows what they're doing.  I'm NOT handy but have tried "taping" or "putting on names or numbers" and ended up with a mess!!  Good luck!

brackish

Haven't changed mine yet, so can't help you there, but I bought the material to do it.  After much searching it turned out the best price for my job was from Hutchins rather than a third party supplier of tape.  Mine has the current gold on navy at the waterline and the thin gold six inches below the rubrail.  Their price was best and they threw in the two compact logos and the arrows that go on the thin gold stripe for nothing.

Hope to do mine this Spring when I haul out to do the bottom.

waterwks4me

I have removed and taped my 38' and my compact 16 with no problems.  I used a hair dryer to warm up the old tape and simply move along with the blow dryer ahead while I gently pull the old tape off with my other hand.  There usually is a few spots where some of the adhesive is left on the gelcoat.  You can use a adhesive remover such as Goo Gone as well as alcohol (70%), mineral spirits or a handy vinyl remover tool that attaches to your drill which I highly recommend.  I found mine on Amazon for less than $20 which was well worth it.  Since your boat is 30+ years old you will probably see where the old tape was located as the gelcoat underneath the old tape is still in great shape and has not weathered.  BoatUS has a vinyl graphics area on their website and you can buy a 125' roll 1" wide for only $30 plus shipping.  I know on my 1984 compact 16 it has a 1" boot stripe.  I have only done two boats, but my wife and I have removed and placed new vinyl boot, cove, name and hailing port on each.  It is easier than you would think if you have some patience.   

Pacman

I replaced my boot stripe with some blue vinyl tape from Home Depot  about 10 years ago.

Still loosa good but, if it gets scratched up, I will just buy another roll of tape.

The trick was getting it on straight but I had success using McGyver's method with some masking tape as a guide.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

dontpanic

Thanks everyone for the great advice.  I feel like it's worth a try so I am going for it.

thanks again

Don't Panic

Bob23

I took the same route as JB. I did a 2" red Pettit strip with a 3/4" space above the blue bottom paint. It looks great and holds up well. The 2" looks proportionately correct on my 23.
Bob23

hinmo

West has 50ft boot stripe tape for about 15$
I've used it before on another boat, seemed to do the job.