a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bowsprit

Started by wroundey, March 09, 2014, 09:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wroundey

The previous owner of my 1981 CP-16 had added a bowsprit of his own design. While it looked ok, the construction methods and materials used were subpar, such that I almost suffered a dismasting last summer when a eyebolt on the bobstay began to open, and the laminations of the sprit have opened up. This afternoon I removed the old bowsprit and after looking at the boat in the garage I have decided that I definitely like the look the sprit gives to the boat. I don't have the cash to buy a sprit from Hutchinson, but I do have access to stainless steel and various lumber materials. I have a good stock of cherry, oak, walnut, and cedar in the shop and wondered if anyone has an opinion on which wood (or combination of woods) I should/could use for my sprit?

Thanks

MacGyver

Wroundey,

The sprit is actually dependant on the SS in place. it keeps the stay from coming in to the bow and also connects the load from head stay down to bow eye via the sprit metal, and the baby stay located below from sprit to bow eye.

I am not saying wood is not a viable option, but just letting you know what actually does the work on the stock setup. Any hardware you use, should be solid welded SS, including any eye hooks, etc. A lot of folks use hardware store eye bolts..... not good.

I am sure cherry or something of that nature would be good, as I believe it is a strong wood.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

wroundey

Mac,
I planned on making a stainless band with welded attachment plate for the headstay and bobstay, similar to what comes on the boats with a factory sprit - crucial to the success of the sprit.

MacGyver

If no one else can provide pictures of one, I can take pictures of the one at work for you if you would like, it is also a 16. I might also take a few measurements for you as well.

I work on Tuesday, if good weather, Ill do my best.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

wroundey

Good weather! Forecast for St Charles, MO on Tuesday is a high of 81! Photos and measurements would be appreciated. Thanks

deisher6

Hey Wroundey:
I went through several bowsprits, however just replacing the wood filler insert part.  The insert gives the stainless steel  frame some rigidity.  The wooden part needs to be made out of  plywood if wood is used.  

You can see my efforts here with some pictures:

131     Model Specific Forums / CP-16's / C-16 Bowsprits and trailers    on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:39 PM

If you have the skills, materials and a pattern you should be able to fabricate the entire bowsprit.

Best of luck.

regards charlie

regards charlie

kickingbug1

hey someone found a use for that poor old 16 sitting at west access----good deal
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

Bow sprit on CP-19. Took the wood out for finishing. Left the dirt. No extra charge.

skip.

wroundey

MacGyver

Wroundy,

I was slammed at work today, since we had nice weather. Then I had a bunch of equipment break down one after another, one issue after another....
Needless to say I forgot to snap pics of the boat there.

Kickinbug, I meant to call you back today, I saw you called but it was around 9 pm, so I didnt try you back. That owner of the 16 came and got it out of hock just in time. He is going to fix it up and start using it. I told him of the website and also of the CLR coming up. I told him to check out the website (Here) for the information and such.

I hope he does.
Catch you all later...... I have to pour over some schematics to figure out how I am going to test and solve my lift issues.......

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

wroundey

Mac, no problem. After looking at Skip's photos I have verified a couple of things. Hopefully I get some good weather next week during my spring break to work on this.

peterg

It is sometimes fun to deviate a bit from the original Compac bowsprit design, and pick up some performance advantages in the process. My sprit-less early CP19 was experiencing too much weather helm, so I designed and fabricated a traditional sprit of oak, with a teak anchor platform and a four- tabbed stainless steel cranse iron to attach the bobstay, two whisker stays, and the forestay. The forestay was kicked out twenty four inches from the original attachment position and eliminated the weather helm situation. I had to cut and extend the bow pulpit to accomodate the new forestay position. One of the pictures shows the pre-modification pulpit, and the on-trailer picture is after modification.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

capt_nemo

peterg,

Very nicely done.

Also found that the 4' homemade bowsprit on my Sun Cat provided performance advantages in light to moderate air with the addition of headsails.

Just had to accept being called a little "Sloopish" by fellow Catboat Rigged Sailors. A small price to pay for the greatly improved performance.

IMHO certain DIY rig modifications can potentially provide big performance dividends, when CAREFULLY and PROPERLY designed, fabricated, and installed.

capt_nemo
Sun Cat "Frisky"