a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Topping Lift

Started by Dick, March 15, 2014, 11:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick

I am considering adding a topping lift to my COM PAC 23/IV (1/4" line from top of mast to boom end). My 23/IV is equipped with a "pig tail" on the back stay which connects to the boom end and locks the boom in place. The issue I have with the "pig tail" is that I some times forget to detach it when getting underway.
Have any of you installed a topping lift? Any issue that I may not be seeing?

brackish

I installed one on my 23 IV.  I didn't want the boom falling on my head when I dropped the sail and often not convenient to hook up the pigtail before dropping the sail.  Since I had roller furling of the type that has its own internal halyard, I used a 1/4" line through the masthead pulley that normally is used for the jib halyard and through the spare rope clutch for adjustment.  It has worked out very well.

Others have used a fixed topping lift with a couple of hook points at the bottom and that has also worked well.

skip1930

Two galvanized wire clamps, a little tape covering the threads and nuts, a quick bronze disconnect and a piece of ss wire from the back stay to the pig tail on the boom. Why go to the Top`O Mast head?

Hook the Q/D to the boom and drop sail. Hook the Q/D around the back stay when not in use.
Who needs a extra line, a pulley, the weight 'up there'? [for every one pound up there you'll need 15 pound down in the keel]

skip.

Note the cable from stern standing rigging to the boom.