a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Deck joint leaks?

Started by Connie Meadows, April 25, 2006, 06:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connie Meadows

Hi all.  While out sailing the last 2 weekends, we had great winds and my boat was heeled way over, not the rail in the water but close.  I ended up with a good amount of water under the starboard rear setea (like 2 inches) and some under the front port setea.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I am wondering if it is coming in around the rub rail at the deck hull joint.  Wondering what you might have found to be the problem and how it was corrected.
I know it is not coming in aroung the stanchions.

It also does not drain into the bilge, but just sits.  Hand bilging it is required.  Anyone else dealt with this?

Steve W.

First you can take the rub rail off and scrape the old out and put in 5200. If the water is  from the deck joint I think you would see some on the shelf , there is a grove that hold the side panel and will trap the water.
The other way that water can get into the locker is when the boat heels the water in the bildge will flow into the locker thru the hole for the wire that run thru the locker and get traped in the locker.

Connie Meadows

Steve, thank you so much for your response.  You may be right... it may be coming in from the bilge and wire holes!  That would be the best case scenerio.   I was single handing and unable to get down and search out the source since the winds were pretty active.  I have not had any water on the shelf area.   I may need to cork the wire holes on really windy days.   :)
Hopefully next day like that, I can put someone down below to see where it is coming from.
I will let you know.  :)
Connie

Connie Meadows

Eurika!  The water under the setae is from the bilge.  While heeling, the water runs from the bilge up into that area.  Thank goodness it is not the deck, hull joint.  At least not at this point.  :)
Thank you all for your ideas!!