a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New CP 16 Owner on Maui

Started by 16MAUI, February 02, 2014, 02:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

16MAUI

Thanks Pacman, you're totally right. I just put a brand new carb on it and immediately its been off..but maybe i didnt clean the tank good thoroughly enough....Then again, Its on trailer and it hasnt had a real chance to just warm up...but its 75 outside, and it shouldnt need very long to warm up....Chainsaws/weedwackers usually only need a few seconds here. Id hate to pull apart a brand new carb...but maybe I should...those jets are almost unpokeable they're so small. Thanks again, and seafoam is awesome stuff.

Pacman

Quote from: 16MAUI on February 21, 2014, 11:23:06 PM
Thanks Pacman, you're totally right. I just put a brand new carb on it and immediately its been off..but maybe i didnt clean the tank good thoroughly enough....Then again, Its on trailer and it hasnt had a real chance to just warm up...but its 75 outside, and it shouldnt need very long to warm up....Chainsaws/weedwackers usually only need a few seconds here. Id hate to pull apart a brand new carb...but maybe I should...those jets are almost unpokeable they're so small. Thanks again, and seafoam is awesome stuff.

I am at 11 feet above sea level on the Florida Gulf Coast we have high air density here that should be similar to the conditions where you live.

Greater air density means that there is more oxygen in a given volume of air than there would be at a higher altitude.

That worsens the EPA lean condition because the fuel/air mixture has more oxygen at lower altitudes but the jets pass the same amount of fuel regardless of altitude.

That said, if the stock jet is absolutely clean it should run OK when warmed up but the slightest bit of crud or corrosion will cause the lean condition.

Have you checked/cleaned the internal fuel filter?  If you want to be double-safe you could install an in-line filter as a backup.

Crud is one thing - but moisture saturated ethanol-induced corrosion is another.  

With such small jets, any corrosion will have deleterious effects so my #1 recommendation is to use only ethanol-free fuel.

I also add an ounce of synthetic 2-stroke oil to each gallon of fuel to keep the valve guides lubricated and reduce friction-related engine operating temperature.  

The 2-stroke oil also seems to protect against corrosion in the fuel system.

Some of my friends think my adding 2-stroke oil is a waste of time.  They call it "snake oil".  The same thing with using ethanol-free fuel.  They think it is too much hassle to go out of their way to buy ethanol-free fuel.

My only reply is that the science is on my side of that arguement and  my motor runs when theirs sometimes don't.

Hope this helps.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

hinmo

I have a 2012 (brand new online) 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stk that lasted one year of my abuse, then started messin up....I then started carb cleaning, adjustment, replace fuel hoses, clean tank, replace filter etc....it never has returned to form.

So, I bought a new carb this winter for it (at least it was relatively cheap) and am going to put it on for the upcoming season.....I replaced and cleaned everything else, we'll seee...

Meanwhile, I have 3 older 2 stk small engines that run decent.
Go figure. Truly believe its the new lean, cheap carbs

Bob23

I'll never give up on my old Nissan 8 hp 2 cylinder 2 stroke. Even after winter hibernation, she starts first pull. Never have any carb issues but I do use marine Stabil in my premium fuel. "Miss Nissan" pushes my 23 along just fine with power to spare in case of strong headwinds or tides.
I suppose that after she gives up the ghost, I'll get a Sailpro.
  On my old Seapearl, I had a Tohatsu 3.5 hp 2 stroke. Another fine engine.
Bob23

carry-on

My 16 has a Nissan 4hp. I use non ethanol, (getting hard to find in Pensacola). About two years ago, replaced the carb. Since then I drain the carburetor bowl after each sail. Sometimes because of weather or other factors, the duration between boating days can be more than expected. I think a drained carb is less likely to foul.     
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

wes

I'm no engine expert, but there are definitely two schools of thought on this. The shop that works on my outboard has shown me some horrific examples of gunked up carbs that happened because the owner drained the bowl dry, then the bit of remaining fuel dried to a sticky residue. They are definitely in favor of leaving fuel in the bowl at all times, but are also very strong on the need for stabilizer. These guys repair outboards every day so I've opted to follow their advice, and two years after they rebuilt my carb I have needed no further attention from them. I add marine Sta-Bil and Yamaha Ring Free to every tank. A couple of times a year I dump whatever fuel remains in my tank into the truck, and start over with a fresh batch.

Have not found a good source of non-ethanol in my area, so I take my chances with the regular stuff.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

kickingbug1

all this talk of outboard problems has got me wondering why on gods green earth my 1969 cruise and carry 2.7 hp air cooled weedeating outboard has never failed me in the 6 years i have had my 16. those who have witnessed it (thats you mike) cant seem to get over its awesome power and (quiet?) operation. sure its not pretty (looks like some kind of kitchen mixing device from the 50s) but that little bugger still works. never sees stabil and just gets regular pump gas. shame the epa keeps it off the market. go figure
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

hinmo

...and my Harley has never failed me in 30 years, why cant they make an outboard! ;D

16MAUI

Thank you everyone for all your comments and advise, Im gonna remember them the next outboard i buy!

I am sad, although its the happiest day of my life, to say i sold my compac to a nice guy from Kona, Big Island hawaii, this morning.

I  just couldn't keep the boat where Im at, let alone work on it, and this guy has a house and a young daughter that it will be really great for him to do some bonding with. I think the boat is better suited for there, with less crazy wind and swell.

I'm gonna send him a link and hopefully he'll be a new member, I appreciate everyone's help and input and I wish the best for everyone on this forum. He was ready to cross the alenuehaha channel ( one of the worst in the world possibly) tomorrow with little experience, and I think you'll see some kewl things from him to come.

Aloha, and thanks again for everything..These boats are special! I hope to get one another in the future, when I have more time and space to dial it in. The weather is going to epic soon, and everyone will be out! Forgetting about the hard winter of 2014 for many of you!

Bob23

Daniel:
   Sorry to see you leave...I've enjoyed your posts. Although your'e no longer a Compac owner, you are always welcomed to drop in from time to time.
Bob23

nies

Rats.............................really sorry to see you go as MAUI is my most favorite place in the world and was looking forward to your adventures, with 4 feet of snow on the ground and -5 this a.m. and no end in sight sailing months away in Hayward,Wi................................good luck may God bless you .........................nies