News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

EPOXY preferences what do you like and why?

Started by mikkel, February 03, 2014, 05:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkel

AHOY,          i am  sealing over concrete ballast  ,replacing bulkheads and bunks in Compac 16.......what epoxy brands do you like and why?...also wish to epoxy seal plywood  rudder and dagger board  for  a MINTO  dinghy........thanks mikkel

Cats Paw

I have always used West Systems  Epoxy Products in the past with great results. I will be re-glassing the Keel skins {both lower sides} and rebuilding bunks on a 1980 compac 16 that I recently acquired. I will be starting the project when the weather warms here in Michigan. Good solid boat otherwise.

MacGyver

Mikkel,

I have been  a boat repairman for years and been using West System extensively for many projects, some of which would blow your mind as to its usages and applications.
I have also used many other products, and although I will recommend a few others from time to time for application specific situations, I have not found a Epoxy that has met the same high quality specs as West System does.

I think your best bet is to use West System for the projects, I am sure you wont be let down for its ease of use, and their technical support.

www.westsystem.com

You can talk to them, and also they have articles on their site to help you. Great company to deal with.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

16MAUI

A lot of local suppliers carry a "house" brand epoxy which is cheaper. Ive had really good luck with these for structural, non cosmetic uses. For really clean finishes and ease of use, the best Ive used is silver tip....MAS is good too, and everyone seems to like WEST. Mixing the right amounts and temperature are way more crucial w/ epoxy Ive found . If you are using it for filets w/a filler on bulkheads and general sealing...the cheaper stuff will work fine. Use fumed silica or equivelant to make filets for bulkheads....its really strong stuff especially when backed w/ cloth how its supposed to be done....just my experience w/epoxy

Restharrow

I'm a small boat builder (check out Restharrow Farm and Boatworks on facebook) and have used both MAS and West System Epoxies.  Both with good results.
I spoke with the President of West Systems last spring at the Maine Boat Builder's Show and he convinced me that West is best.  I'm not sure it makes a ton of difference but West System is a 5 to 1 -Hardener to Resin formular, whereas MAS is 2 to 1.  Total boat epoxy from Jamestown Distributors is also good.  Also, for vertical surfaces I'd recommend total boat THIXO.  It's a bit pricey, but works well, stays put like caulking.  Hope this helps.
Steve
Moving from 23 to 25 this spring - Can't wait!!
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

brackish

Lot's of advice from some fairly experienced folks, and I'm not one of them. :)  With very little experience on mixing of various components for various uses, I went with Silvertip for the 14' Epoxy composite skiff I'm building (well not right now, it is stalled on my carport due to freezing temps).  You pay extra for it as compared to those that you have to add fillers to laminating epoxy in order to mix them for various functions.  I really like the convenience of products like Quickfair and EZ filet.  However, if I were doing it all the time, I would learn how to properly mix and save some money.

skip1930

Hands down, no brainer.
The immediate knee jerk reaction in a word is, West System.

Specifically "I's Luv's" West System Six10 Thickened Epoxy Adhesive.

So many reasons.
Most recent use was a 'skim coat' over a fiberglass dinghy that was power sanded with 80 grit and Six10 was rolled on.
Work time at temperature is about 40 minutes and I watched the time with the frau's digital count down timer.

Used it all up in one shot using the static mixer spewed into a small paint roller tray. Chased the runs until the epoxy set-up.

We used another West System product in the boat building class conducted at the Door County Maritime Museum and Lighthouse Preservation Society years ago. Here's that picture of our class and our raffle boat for the Wooden and Classic Boat Show.

skip.

Salty19

I've used West Systems clear as well as thickened with collidal silica and phenolic powder.  Makes extremely strong joints..stronger than the substrate it's bonding.  The only thing I don't like about it is the setup time is pretty quick.  As long as you've made all the preparations to work quickly, it's not really a problem just an observation. But you can't dilly-dally around once you mix it.

However I like System 3 clear epoxy better than West.  It's thinner and seems to soak into the wood better (no facts to back that up though), goes on easier, does not harden as quickly so more time to do the job and correct mistakes, and produces a pretty smooth finish. Can't speak for strength. It does take much longer to dry..24-72 hours depending on temps.   Thickened west epoxy is rock hard in 8-10 hours at 65 degrees F.

Use caution if you add silica or phenolic powder.  Use a face mask, work slowly and carefully to avoid getting this stuff airborne.
Mix epoxy first, then add the powder.  Mix again and add more powder to suite the thickness you want.  For fillets, you want it thick like mayonaise..it should not droop or sag at all.  When bonding wood, best practice is a thin clear coat, then apply thickened epoxy before the clear dries and press the two surfaces together.  Don't clamp the pieces down hard, just press them together. This will allow the epoxy to soak into the wood and will seal/bond the area with more strength without excess oozing.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

Personally, I've used Smith's Epoxy to great advantage.  I restored a 1967 CC Cavalier that had been holed (and yes, given to me).  Used their CPES to restore the rotted mahogany parts, Fill it Paste to fair , and Tropical wood formulation on structural repairs. Nearly fool proof.  Cure times are longer than the reported 10 hours w/ west systems, but I've noticed short cure times are somewhat weaker in strength. 

It is what one gets used to, However.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Pacman

I use WEST because they have a wide range of compatible fillers, hardeners, measuring pumps (although I confirm the mix with a postage scale) and lots of good technical info and how to publications.

Epoxyworks is a free publication with tips and features showing what thers have done with WEST epoxy.  Cool stuff.

That said, I have also had good luck with several other brands.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile