a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

More Hot Stove Rudder talk

Started by hinmo, February 08, 2014, 10:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

OK - my foil rudder (bottom) arrived. I finally looked at the original (under 8 inches of snow). I assume its just the lock down bolt that holds the bottom in the upper bracket?

It looks like the bolt is gonna be tough to get out. It passes thru a sacrificial zinc on the far end (I think). Any tips on removing the bolt?

Then, I am confused by the additional pin, hold-down talk on the forum. Won't the new rudder secure in a down position like the original with the lock-down lever? Mine will be sitting on a mooring. I do not intend to lift the rudder after each sail. Is there problems of it kicking up under way if I have the locking lever tight?

Thanks...a little confused.

JBC

My lever/bolt combination works fine on my foiled rudder (C 16/III).  The head of the bolt fits snuggly inside part of the aluminum upper rudder assembly on one side, so it won't move when tightened, then runs through the hole in the blade, and through a SS flat washer and the lever/nut fitting on the other side (sorry, boat in storage so I don't have pics to share). I have no problem tightening down the blade with the lever, and it doesn't kick up while sailing.  I did break a lever once on a previous C 16, and ordered a new one from ComPac.  It works fine.

I, too, was a little puzzled by the discussion of an extra pin, etc., to hold down the rudder blade.  Maybe there is a different thickness in the original metal blade and the one encapsulated in the glass foil blade that connects to the upper rudder assembly.

I can't advise on getting that original bolt out, but I think there has been some discussion on this forum about that problem (and some solutions offered), if I remember.

Jett

hinmo

Quote from: JBC on February 08, 2014, 06:54:54 PM

I, too, was a little puzzled by the discussion of an extra pin, etc., to hold down the rudder blade.  Maybe there is a different thickness in the original metal blade and the one encapsulated in the glass foil blade that connects to the upper rudder assembly.

Thanks Jett, thought it was just me.
....4 months and counting (darn short sailing season here in the great frozen Northeast!)

JBC

Yeah, know what you mean...I sail my boat on high mountain lakes in Colorado, and May is about as soon as I can get it out and on the water.

dontpanic

A couple of weeks of daily application of PB Blaster and mild heat applied once in a while. The bolt was finally persuaded to come out.