Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Diesel Throttle

Started by Alec Hart, July 13, 2005, 07:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Hart

Hello -
I put a stainless throttle lever on my 27/2 pedestal and it didn't clear the pedestal guard so I contacted Edson regarding a fix.  They instructed me in what was as simple as it should have been obvious adjustment at the engine - adjusting a threaded connection between the throttle cable and the lever.  The engine now seems to top out at 2800 - 3000 rpms.  While I normally operate below this (2400-2500 rpm), a fellow diesel inboard owner (and former Navy man and engineer) said a diesel needs to be run up to 60-70 % of it's top rpm periodically to heatit up, clean it out and give the fuel a good circulation.  That would be 3300 - 3500 rpm, which I can't get to.  

I guess I have two questions.  1) Has anyone else heard of this periodic  diesel "run-up" to keep it running smoothly and 2) should I change out the threaded connection between the cable and throttle lever (simple piece of threaded rod) in order to get the necessary length to max out the engine's rpms?

In all other respects, the engine runs fine and has been very reliable.  As an old Volkswagon owner - I usually live by the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."  But I have to ask (having never had a diesel Rabbit!)

spaul

Alec, I suppose it depends on your engine but I have the 2GM20 and can reach nearly 4000 rpm if I try. My engine tends to overheat at 3500 + if it runs for a long time. I suspect several sea water impeller parts need to be removed from the intercooler to fix that.
I would make the adjustments so you can get the most out of your throttle if you need it. Is your air filter clean? by the way.
Could be many things holding you back. If you remove the throttle cable and throttle up by hand does the engine rev up? If so, then make the change and get on with sailing. You never know when you might need a few more rpms for safety sake. Could be the prop but I doubt it. I have a '92 27/2 and love it.
Steve Paul

spaul

Alec, I suppose it depends on your engine but I have the 2GM20 and can reach nearly 4000 rpm if I try. My engine tends to overheat at 3500 + if it runs for a long time. I suspect several sea water impeller parts need to be removed from the intercooler to fix that.
I would make the adjustments so you can get the most out of your throttle if you need it. Is your air filter clean? by the way.
Could be many things holding you back. If you remove the throttle cable and throttle up by hand does the engine rev up? If so, then make the change and get on with sailing. You never know when you might need a few more rpms for safety sake. Could be the prop but I doubt it. I have a '92 27/2 and love it.
Steve Paul

spaul

Steve Paul

spaul

Steve Paul

Roger Schwake

Alec I haven't heard of a diecel run-up before so can't help you there. Setting your throtle speeds is very important on a diesel though. Your manuel that came with your engine will have the right r.p.m. to set the slow idle and fast idle. Fast idle is the engine running full throtle with no load. Set slow idle first then set fast idle. next go back and check slow idle, by setting fast idle you can change slow idle and by resetting slow idle you can change fast idle. Go back and forth till you have both speeds set to your manuel. These speeds are very important for your engine to operate properly. If you have any problems please contact me.

Alec Hart

Thanks for the advice.  I checked my manual and all I came away with was the maximum RPM (3600) with a "cruising range" of 2600-3300 rpms.  (no slow idle or fast idle...)  I see the set screws on the throttle, so can make the adjustments - if I knew the set point.  Anybody know what the slow idle and fast idle speeds are for a Universal M-12 - or where to find them? She starts easily, runs strong and at operating temp. (165 Deg. F) so I'm not overly concerned - but want to make sure I don't cause any long term damage.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Alec Hart

I haven't had any luck locating the high and low throttle range for the Universal 12.  Anyone know what those numbers are?  Any information at all would be useful.  Thanks!

PHOENIXCP27

Try to contact Marine Diesel Direct.  That is the sight I found my manual in.  

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/

spaul

Alec, was noodling around and found his diesel site.

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Index.cfm?cfapp=9&Forum_ID=164&RED=WWW

A posting or two here might find the answer you seek.
Steve Paul

Alec Hart

Just an FYI - I was up in CLearwater and spoke to Gerry - he said they set the low idle up around 1000 when new and after break-in they can go as low as 700-750.  High idle should be around 3000 (and I may not be seeing that as I'm due for a bottom job - scheduled for end of this month!!!)

Alec Hart

Just an up-date - I had the bottom done and performance (motoring) has improved remarkably.  I guess a slippery bottom is worth the money!  I've run the motor up to 3000 rpms now easily and got 6.5 kts (speed over bottom) heading into a very stiff breeze on a slack tide.

Now, if I can just get out on another windy day and see how she sails with that slippery bottom...