a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP - 19 Port seals

Started by ed phillips, August 30, 2005, 10:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed phillips

The seals on the 20 year old ports are going and one is now leaking.  Has anyone replaced these? Difficult?  Source for the seals?

These are basically a black rubber seal seated within the "groove" around the fixed portion of the port.

Thanks for any advice.

Ed ... the guy still trying to figure out his boat

steve brown

Hi Ed,  My 1982 CP19 #93 has the original seals I believe and they seem to working ok. I think Hutchins has the replacement seals for your ports. I had asked about them when inquiring about port hole screens; which they did not have. They have a replacement parts list for their older boats that they will send you. I also believe they will give you some help on how to replace them. My first year of sailing is coming to a close faster than I wish.  Good luck. Steve

Ron/CP19II

Hi Ed, ABI Marine has port seals and screens available,check them out at http://www.abimarine.com/   .                                                                Ron  CP19II  #330

mgoller

Hi Ed,
I had the same problem.  This is what I did.  I bought some black permatex sealant.  I opened the ports on a nice day and smeared a good amount of the sealant around the original seal.  I did this with my finger.  I wiped a the little bit that went where it wasn't supposed too with a towel.  Basically I was just trying to fill the cracks and conform to the original shape plus add a a mm to the depth of the seat.  I let it set up until it was dry but soft, ( about 6 hours).  Then I closed the ports tight.  Presto.  Seals look like new, they're soft and seal tight.
I didn't know I could get new seals.

steve brown

I decided to replace my porthole seals as they appeared to be geting dried out. Com-pac sent the Perko seal material. I cleaned out the groove real good and cut the seal strip to fit leaving the joint at the side hinge. I cemented them in place and closed the port to clamp it until dry. They don't leak and it is an easy upgrade. Steve

Damsel19

It is standard perko port seal available from any good marine store.  LEWIS is the wholesaler.  a $10 (wholesale) box wil seal the ports about four times over.  Choose your favorite adhesive. Silicone Urethane or liquid nails, I think I used Marine GOOP UV.  Contact cement is also an option.