a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2.5 or 4 up outboard for the CP16

Started by dontpanic, January 03, 2014, 11:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

Ignoring the difference in price would you choose a 2.5 HP (30 pounds) FN only (360 degree steering) or a 4 HP. (50 pounds) FNR.
I had a 4HP on my ODAY Daysailer years ago and liked it. if the 2.5 HP has sufficient power to push the CP,16 I would prefer it since it is 20 pounds lighter.
What is the experience of those more experienced with the CP 16?

Thanks

MacGyver

I know I cannot speak for ownership of a 16, but I would like to add a opinion.
The one on the lot at the marina has a 2.5, that you turn for reverse.

I would think that the least weight you could put in the back, the better, and I am sure it is more than ample for that little craft. But there is no substitute for HP.

I will be watching this closely to see as I hope to someday also to own a 16, just so we can trailer to places easily while our larger boat (a CP 23 hopefully for 2014) is slip sailed.

To day trip with a 16 is much easier obviously than bigger boats.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

cas206

I went with a four cycle 2.5 hp.   I've only had a few outings so far, but it seems plenty powerful enough.  Doing a 360 for reverse seems like it would be awkward with the larger head than a 2 cycle.  So far I've been able to just plan on not having reverse and go slow.

jb

had reservations about the Honda 2HP from my previous WW Potter 15, but so far it seems sufficient. In many instances, I'm motoring against a strong current and brisk head wind !

As with any of my previous sailboats, I try to avoid using reverse.

Can't beat the light weight!!

The only negative, for me, is sailing in chop with the motor up. There seems to be some play ( movement/lift/bouncing) when the bottom of the out drive hits the top of the waves.

j

Pacman

I love my Honda 2 hp.

It pushes my boat well, is easy on fuel, and lightweight too.

I especially like the centrifical clutch that lets the prop stand still at idle and engages when RPM increase.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

nies

More horse's is always good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................nies

Gerry

I had a 2hp Merc on my CP16. It worked, but I did not like having a short shaft one only one gear (F).  I bought a 4hp, 4 stroke, F/N/R, long shaft.  I love it.  It stores upright and I never have to lower it the water.  I just tip it up to sail; down to run.  It's quiet, efficient, and powerful.  AND I love backing off the dock.  Well worth the price and it weighs the same as a little kid.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

mattman

I looked at the Honda but the mechanic indicated it still had in impeller to cool the lower unit-but that the head was air cooled- this was discussed in a prior post. Given that I would be replacing and impeller anyway, I went with the 3.5 Tohatsu long shaft with F/N four stroke. It stays out of the water when tilted, and I figured that the 16 will not be my only boat and it was the same weight at the 2.5hp. But I did have to put a shim in to fully turn the engine 360 degrees. It hit the rub rail and wouldn't turn all the way around (I put a 1/4 in shim on the face of the mount-then tighten up the motor-I will screw one on this year as it falls out when you take the motor off.) As far as power, I barely get off idle for cruising speed and hull speed with less than 1/3 throttle. Was just reading  in Vigor's blog last night that 500 sq ft of sail generates about 10 hp. in 10 kts of wind, interesting tidbit that scales down to a bit over 2hp for our 16s.... funny how the math works out. Btw seems that my four stroker needs to but put in the upright position for a few minutes before it wants to start. If I just tilt it up and drop it down - maybe 20 pulls later she fires- if I tilt up and sail five more minutes- fires right up, anyone else on this?? Happy sailing...

atrometer

Outboards hit their horsepower rating at the top end of their RPM, so if you're running your 4 HP at 1/4 throttle you're probably at 1.5 HP.  By the way the air cooled Honda does NOT have an impeller.

Jon898

Unless you're in strong currents and a narrow channel, why not go electric?  Trolling motors are much cheaper and lighter, essentially silent, and help with weight distribution if you put the battery up forward.  Reverse is available at the twist of the handgrip.

Couple of old threads discuss:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6805.0

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4852.msg33871#msg33871

I bit the electrons last year and could not be happier.  The only issue I've come across is that the thing is SO silent, I once inadvertently left it running in "forward" by mistake when docking   :-[

Bob23

Matt:
   I had that same Tohatsu but a saltwater version with reverse. Great motor...pushed my old Seapearl without even working up a sweat. It should be great for a CP 16.
Bob23

mattman

Atrometer, yes that is what I was indicating about - 2hp to get the 16 to cruising speed. It seems some model years of the Honda 2 appear to have an impeller- here is the link discussing the issue. When the mechanic told me it had an impeller the engine was sitting right there in the box, so he wasn't trying to sell me a different engine. Anyway they blew the sale on anther issue and I went to a different dealer for the Tohatsu. The snowstorm has just started to dump on us...time for another pot of coffee...be careful all.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/018431.html

shazam

I've had both 4 and 5 hp outboards for my small sailboats. I now operate with a Nissan 2.5hp.....and I love it.  As I only need to motor out of its slip/ramp into the inner harbor (inland lake)....or  occasional long motoring across the lake ....the 2.5 is more than adequate.  If you need to operate against a strong tide of strong current, the 4 would be better.
My only problem w/ the 2.5 is that there is no neutral, there is no idling..... once started, it goes!
Emmett
s/v Morning Calm
CP16