a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 16 Inside Trim and Carpet Questions

Started by Mack, December 28, 2013, 05:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack

While I am loading up this site with winter project questions, I wanted to ask about the interior trim/molding.

1.  Where can I get another piece of trim to replace the missing piece show in the picture?   Ball park price?

2.  What holds the trim to the side of the boat?   Is it screwed on?  This piece looks glued on, yet I am afraid to pull too hard as I don't want to break it.

3.  What is the best carpet and cement to use if I were to get wild and crazy and yank all the carpet out?  I am temped to do as part of my wiring project.  It seems like indoor/outdoor carpeting, but I didn't know if there is a certain type that is better for the marine environment.

4.  What is the best place to get replacement trim for under bunk cushions?   You can see what is busted in the left hand side of the last shot.

crazycarl

for the trim, i'd look around at marinas.  sometimes they have inventory that has been there too long and they want it gone. 

i bought a 6' piece of trim from west access marina for $14.

cc
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Mack

Do you know how this trim (for the sidewall carpets) is attached?

wes

On my 19, and I'll bet on your 16 too (based on your photo), the wood trim strips are screwed into the cured 3M 5200 adhesive that seals the hull to deck joint. Seems like an odd idea, but the trim is very light and the screw length is chosen to avoid penetrating all the way through to the exterior. Probably not how I would have chosen to do it, but I have to admit mine are still holding fine, 25 years after the boat left the factory.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

skip1930

On my CP-19 there are wood batons glued to the inside of the hull.

The 'rug', a un-backed fabric, is pushed up the bulkhead and over these batons. A second interior baton matches up to these and screwed down, sandwiching the fabric in place between these two pieces of wood.
I pulled my inside wood off to paste wax them with many coats of MinWax.
I assume that some spray on glue is used as well.

skip.    

dontpanic

My 1981 Compac has no carpet or other finish in side the cabin. I noticed that in cold damp weather that there is condensation on the inside (bottom) of the cabin top. Do other Compac's have some type of insulation (carpet) that will reduce the interior cabin condensation?

nies

Had same problem............purchased from Hutchins liner to go on inside hull, attached and solved problem, may find similar material cheaper locally, be careful in what you use as mold can form if bond is not complete..........also lessens noise......nies

dontpanic

Nies, the interior finish you mentioned sounds like just what I need. Can you tell me what they are called on the Hutchins parts list?
Can you describe them? Are they pre-cut to size and how do you install them?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

nies

Its been a long time, but believe it was called "hull liner", sold by the yard, standard color was sand ,and attached with adhesive recommended by Hutchins ,had to cut to fit, give Hutchins a call they will tell you what the material is and how much you will need.......nies