a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

end plate effect

Started by kickingbug1, October 25, 2013, 10:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

More underwater area=more drag. More drag=less speed. Always have trade offs. Aircraft winglets do not correlate exactly. Aerodynamics vs hydrodynamics. Significant  differences in speed/lift coefficients.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

NateD

Rake aft for lee helm. Or increase the size of your main sail relative to the foresail (typically by using a smaller jib).

kickingbug1

upon further study, i was mistaken it wasnt lee helm i was concerned with it was more pointing ability.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig

Whoooah! Big difference! All that being said, I would say experiment but understand that the results while positive, may be relatively insignificant re effort and complications.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

kickingbug1

thanks for everyones interest----i can always count on the facts
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

I think you need a slap a bowsprit on the boat..an improvement to pointing and easy to install. I bet you could make one pretty cheap.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

Yep pretty easy to form-up a bow sprit from a template.
Needed is some stainless steel flat bar a little welding for a tac, and anchor roller and cross piece under the wood, a drill and bit, six bolts, nuts, washers, some goop, a new bow eye, one big piece of wood and a dolphin stay.

Should take a day if everything is at your finger tips. Pictures are for a S.W.A.G. as to size.
The bow sprit follows the sheer line which will bring the tac up to the fore stay.

skip.