a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cabin flooring

Started by rogerschwake, November 02, 2013, 01:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

My 2003 Suncat needs a new floor in the cabin area. Has anyone tackled this job yet. I've seen this plywood used in lots of boats for flooring but have no idea where to find it. Any good suggestions would be appreciated.

capt_nemo

When mine was brand NEW in 2010 I removed it along with ALL of the rest of the interior wood for sealing and coating to protect against moisture. (Since coating it has been covered with a piece of "wall to wall" carpet with non-skid pad underneath!)

As I recall, it is a rather thin piece of Teak and Holly Plywood about 1/4" to 5/16" thick and simply screwed down in place.

I would first check with local marinas and boat repair shops for availability of such a small piece or the possibility of them ordering a piece for you from their supplier.

Otherwise, check with local specialty wood shops or even lumber yards for such "Marine" type plywood which, more than likely, will have to be special ordered.

Finally, you can consider replacing the cabin floor with some other type of material.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

steve brown

I inquired with Com-Pac about a teak and holly sole after I took delivery of my 2010 Suncat. Mine came with a non-skid sole. Jerry told me that the wood soles were installed before the cabin was mated with the hull. Screwing a sole down on a finished boat might run the risk of penetrating the hull. That bit of advice caused me to go with a nice piece of indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. Nunki is all covered for the Winter.