Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing plastic hanks with Brass Piston Hanks

Started by Jason, October 12, 2013, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Hi Everyone,

Update: I redid this project with better reinforcing around the new hanks, see updated photo's at bottom of thread.

My old jib had brass piston hanks on it, the new one had plastic twist on hanks.  I found that I preferred the brass piston hanks, so today I replaced the plastic with brass,  It's a manageable job.  Unscrew the plastic hanks and pull them off.  Add some reinforcing adhesive fabric around the attachment point, stitch in a grommet, fold a plastic chafe guard over the grommet and then install the brass hank by inserting the tang through the grommet and bending it firmly in place.

Both plastic and brass hanks are equally valid options; I think it's just down to preference.  Made it out on Nagawicka Lake thursday evening, beautiful fall sailing, perfect wind and nice sunset.  Boat will be winterized soon (battery and outboard go to the basement).

Jason

Jason Talbot
Sussex WI
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

Bob23

Thanks, Jason. Very helpful. And VERY NICE PHOTOS! That kind of clarity is really helpful for all of us who undertake any kind of project.
Bob23

skip1930

Never saw plastic hanks like that except for flags to be hanged onto standing rigging.

skip.

Jason

Hi Again,

As I look into this more, I think I may need to reinforce the attachment point of the hank.  Larger boats' sails with hanked on jibs appear to attach the brass hank through a grommet.  Do those of you with brass hanks, have a grommet where the hank goes through the luff tape?  Thanks for feedback.

Jason

carry-on

I have two jibs for my 16. One has brass hanks and one has stainless. Both use grommets where the hanks attach to the luff
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Jason

Added a reinforcing patch around the grommet area, then stitched in a grommet, then installed the hanks over a plastic chafe protector.  That's better!  Didn't like the hanks being installed direct into the luff tape, and as I researched it, it became clear that the hanks should be installed through reinforced grommets.

-Jason

crazycarl

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"