a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Put Suncat tobed for a long winter nap.

Started by rogerschwake, December 02, 2013, 09:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

I gave up and put my boat away for the winter. It was time since most of the lakes have iced over up here in Iowa. Rented a garage with a 7' door and squeezed it in. By taking the gaff, boom and mast off the boat, then lifting the trailer tong till the back of the trailer was rubbing on the ground it let me just get the boom gallows under the door. Then with the tong still held up we pushed the boat back till you get to the mast stub, this gets the gallows past the open garage door. Next let the trailer tong down on the ground and slide the boat the rest of the way in the garage, you will have almost a hole inch between the mast stub and the garage door. Not something I would want to do every time I went out to sail but it saved me some money on garage rent to buy more stuff for the boat. All you Suncaters down south sail an extra mile for me this winter.
ROGER

capt_nemo

Roger,

I'll offer up a few sailing tacks to Neptune on your behalf, next time I'm out on Charlotte Harbor down here in SW Florida.

Otherwise, take advantage of having your boat close at hand and under shelter, to accomplish some of those tasks you've been thinking about but just haven't had the time to do!

Best wishes for a SHORT Winter.

capt_nemo

Salty19

Hey Roger,

I'm on the hard for the winter too...but I'll still raise a glass to you. We're not iced over yet, but it's supposed to be another long and cold winter here in Ohio. There will be plenty of opportunities to be raises glasses!

Wow, close fit on the garage but glad it made it in!  I don't think I could physically do that with our 19. Hitch weighs too much.

Curious what you're doing to keep the cabin fresh over winter...
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Westcoast DAD

I recall removing trailer tires and placing moving rollers under the leaf springs on a trailer that needed just a couple of inches to clear a door for a winter. Might be an idea that someone finds useful trying to get their poor cat in out of the cold. Side advantage it keeps the tires a little more happy not flat spotting over the winter too.

Bob23

While my sailing season has ended also, I look forward to winter rowing and hopefully some cross country skiing, if we ever get snow again here in the South of NJ. Sail one for me, Nemo!
Bob23

capt_nemo

The extra $300 I paid for the "Garage Package" on "Frisky" when purchased NEW is certainly worth it.

With Gallows posts unpinned and the mast stub disconnected from the very short protrusion from the foredeck, the boat stores straight back into a standard sized garage with mast laid down on the cabin top IF you have a hinge installed on the forward end of the trailer tongue.

With motor and rudder still attached it is still a "snug" fit as shown in this photo.

It's great for longer term storage or when you need to work on the boat in a protected environment, but I wouldn't want to go through the process each time I wanted to use the boat.

capt_nemo