Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Right inventory of sails to take on a CP16

Started by Jason, October 06, 2013, 07:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Hi Everyone,

I hope you've all enjoyed a great and safe summer of sailing!  It has a been a nice season in Wisconsin, and I hope to get out once or twice more.  Since getting the refurbishment and upgrades done on my 1981 CP16, I find myself working on it less and just using it more!  I got some good Lake Michigan sailing in this summer, which proved a good opportunity to test out the mods I made to the boat.  Future updates will include the addition of a barometer, and possibly an additional sail, which brings me to the topic of this note.  What is the correct set of sails to carry on board for a boat sailing Lake Michigan?

My current set served well this year, and includes (from National Sails):

-Rolly Tasker Storm Jib
-Rolly Tasker Jib (to the same dimensions as the original sails from Compac), the new sails are great, but I will be replacing the plastic twist hanks with brass piston hanks over winter.
-Rolly Tasker Main with one reef

I am considering the addition of a bigger headsail, maybe a 150%, or a big light-air headsail, or can I get one sail that can cover both functions (ie would the bigger headsail be a better light air sail than the standard jib?)  My plan is to use the stern cleats to run the 150% jib sheets to, open to suggestions there.  I would like to skip having to mount the long adjustable jibsheet fairlead rails if possible (to avoid cost).

What sails additional to the three listed above, have you all found useful to have aboard?  Would a bigger headsail improve performance to windward?

Thanks!

Jason

Jason Talbot
Sussex
WI

1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

skip1930

On a CP-16? A Factory headsail. Factory main and maybe a asymmetrical spinnaker.

skip.

JTMeissner

Jason, I use a 155 genoa for light air (in avatar picture).  It's definitely not regular sailcloth, but not quite spinnaker thin.  Common addition I believe to the original sails for the initial CP-16s.

I run the sheets through the stern cleats on each side, with a clam cleat on the coaming. 

Some discussions:
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5569
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6061

-Justin

wes

Jason - much depends on wind conditions in your area. When I mostly sailed my 19 on small NC lakes where I was lucky to get 5 knots of breeze, I flew a 155 all the time and was grateful for the extra size. When I switched to coastal sailing and consistently had stronger winds (10-15 kn) I found myself way overpowered and got a 110. It has proven ideal, except when running downwind wing and wing - that's when I miss the big 155.

Then there is the Wife Factor. Mine hates heeling so we try to keep it sedate. If you are more adventurous you can carry more sail. As has been mentioned here so often, it's nearly impossible to capsize a Com-Pac, but more heel really won't make you go faster. Some people enjoy the thrill, though. My buddy, a former catamaran sailor, keeps saying "is this as far over as it will go?"  ;D

I think it's fair to say that the larger the boat, the more headsail you can carry in a blow. My boatyard project boat (CP27) came with a 135 as standard.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Jason

mattman

Light air is all about sail shape and air attachment. In super light air for windward work a light blade will do quite well over and average weight 150%, the idea is that there is less weight in the sail and it shapes with less air (you also need good lightweight jib sheets too), a ghost of a breeze will get it pulling and it doesn't drag the bow down as much-this is assuming headsail changes for windward or downwind legs.   When I say light air I mean 0-3kts. I agree with Skip an asym  seems to be the way to go.  Btw the weight of the sail cloth means a lot. For the cp16 I would think a light air headsail would run well under 4 oz's. Heavy air 4.5 oz's maybe 5 oz's. I do wonder though when do you go to the storm jib over the 110?
I am curious at what point do you find that the waves and wind are just too much to make any kind of progress to windward? After 20-22kts I feel I have to really start working to handle the boat well and even then I can see performance drop. The best advise I can offer is call a sailmaker and chat for a half hour about your sailing conditions and what kind of performance you are looking for. Best of luck.

Jason

Hi

Storm jib + 1 reef in the main has worked well on lake michigan, and also on our trip this summer sailing up north around Washington & Rock Islands.  18kts+ or so.  Reduced power but still enough to move well and be in control.  I am pretty conservative, and "wuss out" pretty early when it comes to reducing sail area.  Pointing ability, already not the best on the CP16, is poor with reefed main and storm jib, but the boat has always been seaworthy.

Jason Talbot
Sussex
WI