Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

holt allen turnbuckles

Started by mhallas, June 17, 2005, 11:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhallas

hey yall,
Im missing a one of the parts to my sidestay turnbuckle on my cp16, and i'm having trouble getting a match to what is made now.  the manufacturer, holt allen, doesnt seem to make turnbuckles anymore.  Im worried about shelling out the money and it not being right. plus im still in the process of getting the boat seaworthy for the first time (for me) so I havent even set the mast up yet, so i am not sure about the tensioning so much.
any help wouold be great.

matt hallas
'76 cp16 "Sarlacc Pit"

Craig

Matt,

Have called the good folks at Com-Pac? I've found them very helpful in getting the few parts I've needed for my 1980 CP 16/1.

Craig

mhallas

I called hutchins about the turnbuckles... my boat is nigh 30 years old, after getting passed around the shop, the best they could do was try and sell my new stays at $90 a pop.  i wasnt really impressed.

Craig

I don't have any other suggestions other than take the intact turnbuckle to a West Marine or other chandlery and see what can be subsituted. You should be able to find one that will fit the swaged end of the stay. I realize that's a less than helpful response...

Craig

Mercrewser

Same problem with me.  I replaced the entire turnbuckle assembly.  It has a shorter length than stock so I used it on the forstay.  This way both sidestays have the same turnbuckle.  I also made turnbuckle covers with 1 inch pvc pipe with caps.  You need these so jib sheets dont come in contact with the stainless cotter pins that you didnt forget to install because I mentioned it right here. :D  I got all hardware at west marine.  Hutchins doesnt have the turnbuckles, but they will impress you on other items.  They can send your a parts/price list on available items.

timkil

I realize this post might be a bit late for your turnbuckle question, but I needed a full set myself this fall. Found them at Bosun Supplies, Inc. I just measured the pin to pin length and the cable size of the shrouds and stay. You can deal with them on the Web at Bosunsupplies.com.
Tim Kilpatrick
1977 CP16 "Iota"

mhallas

actually later is better than never....do you have a part number or something similiar you could share with me?

Craig Weis

I understand the problem. Take the bottom half of the turnbuckle to Westmarine or....? and buy a set so you'll have a matched pair of turnbuckles for the side stays of the standing rigging. Remove the side stays, roll them up and tape'em so you can walk around with them easily and have the stay fitted and swedged with one end of the turnbuckle at a local boatyard.  My lifelines were swedged for $20 after I purchased and installed my stern pulpit and staunches [sp]..

Re-rig the stays. To economize take the head stay turnbuckle and use it on the side stay, then only one new TB would need to be purchased and swedged onto the head stay. Whatever.

Com-Pac does not list turnbuckles in the parts list of any C-P boats. Sorry.

HINT  Use ss circle clips to replace cotterpins as these won't snag any sail materials. skip

timkil

The turnbuckles I ordered for my cp16 were from Bosun Supplies Inc. They are closed body, toggle & toggle, 6 inches from pin to pin. In their catalog they are item number S0783-0005. Hope that helps you. I also ordered a push button quick pin for the forestay connection. Fair winds, Tim  P.S. Take your own measurements, they have a wide selection.....
Tim Kilpatrick
1977 CP16 "Iota"

mgoller

Hi Matt,
Any sail boat shop worth their salt should be able to make you up a whole new swagged stay with turnbuckle.  It should only take them a short while to do.  My sail boat shop does it while I wait.
What part are you missing?
Is it that the threads and size are wierd?
If all else fails send me the thing you want fixed and I can get you a seaworthy part.  My sailboat shop has tons of bins of spares and they usually have the part I'm looking for.
You really don't want down time this time of year.

mhallas

I spent a while at west marine last year trying to find a match for my sidestay turnbuckle, lost part of it (a pin fell out, then i lost the toggle. (not on the water of course!).  I guess i was trying to find an exact replacement that i could just "plug in".  Im putting the boat in the water for the season in two weeks, but i probally wont step the mast for a little while after that.  I live 1 1/2 hrs away from my mooring and its kinda like wet storage until i move closer again in the next year or two.  I am planning on spending a fair amount of time working on it here and there.

matt hallas
'76 cp16 "Sarlacc Pit"