a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Boat: Sea Bird

Started by Windhawk, March 03, 2005, 09:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windhawk

I've decided on the name for the new boat; she's going to be called Sea Bird after a 102 ton schooner that my Great Grandfather built in 1862 at his shipyard in Swan Creek, Michigan (now called Fair Haven).  

Information on the original boat has been very hard to come by, but I have a picture to share once I learn how to post it.  Her official number was 22375.  LOA: 79, Beam: 21, and as the following report says, she was lost in 1889 (probably had been sold by my gg-father at that point, as he usually only sailed them for 5 or so years.  Interestingly, they were paid for after only one year of work).

"Driven ashore at Oscoda, MI, Lake Huron, October 30, 1889, in tow of tug ADA BARRETT, with cargo of bricks. Became total loss; no lives lost. Final enrollment surrendered at Detroit, MI, December 28, 1889, and endorsed a total loss."

I've decided to use "Swan Creek" as her Port of Hale as a further tribute.

Windhawk

I just finished exchanging a few emails with Rich Hutchins, I pick up the new boat on April 4th...   8)

Windhawk

...well, she's home.  I've got to work out a schedule with the dealer to get her rigged & launched.  Looks as if the weather is going to cooperate.

Craig

Post some pcitures. We'd like to see her.

Craig

Windhawk

Let's see if this works:

[/img]

wooster

Windhawk,

Beautiful boat.  In the words of D. Hammett's Sam Spade, "the stuff dreams are made of".

Best wishes and fair winds,

Wooster

jhansen1951

Congrats on the boat!  It might just be me but ComPacs just look like a sailboat should look!

Fair winds and smooth sailing,
John

ramble on

Congratulations on a beautiful boat! I like the new look. Where will your first cruise be?

Your info was very helpful. Upper 5s in 20 knots true sounds very nice. I think that is a little better than what my Seaforth Coastal Cruiser would do in thoses conditions.

I am hoping to get my 23 next month. I have taken alot of time checking the condition of this 1992 model. Unbelievable! Almost perfect (and I look at everything). I think it will make me a great boat.

I am very happy for you and Seabird. More pictures, please.

Ramble On