a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

trailer tire dry rot

Started by curtisv, September 13, 2013, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Although we've touched upon Citroens, bilge pumps and vapor lock, we've never answered Ted's question of where to buy trailer tires. Sorry, Ted- if your'e still here! We get easily distracted around here!
   I don't know where you live or your trailer size but I've gotten many trailer parts here:
http://www.easternmarine.com/
They are in Delaware. I've purchased wheels, tires, fenders, couplings, etc for my 23's trailer. Although it is and hour and a half from my house, it was still worth the drive. Great prices and great selection.
   I've gotten tires for my construction trailer from my mechanic and tire guy. They gotta be trailer tires, though. Car or truck tires will not do.
Bob23

brackish

well yes Bob you're right.  In my area you can get trailer tires from Sam's Club, the local Goodyear dealer and I think the Firestone dealer carries them.  I suspect any multi line tire dealer can order them in for you.  If not, you can get them from online sources such as the Tire Rack who have fixed price mount and balance deals with local installers such as Sears or Firestone.

Citroen/Dave

Skip,

For ten years the 1955-75 ID/DS Citroen models had a single lug bolt through the middle of the hub.  The hub slipped on and off of hexagonal shaped stub axles, similar to what I think NASCAR now uses.  (Americans and others insisted they return to a five lug nut configuration in 1965; I don't know why.)  

My sweetheart had a flat tire on our 1962 Citroen in front of a local beer hall.  She had the tire changed before any of the local pool players could be gentlemen and get out the door to help.  They could not believe a lady could handle a flat tire. They lined up and stood there with their jaws on the ground . . .  

Change a tire or tires as follows:

1.) Put the transmission in neutral and set the hand brake, move the hydraulic suspension control to the "up" position.  (The car raises up.)
2.) Open the front hood.
3.) Take out the spare tire, wrench, and the strut. (Notice that everything is clean, easily reached, and no suit cases are on the ground. . .)
4.) Place the strut on a stud under the middle of the car on the side of the flat and loosen the one lug "nut" on the flat tire.
5.) Move the hydraulic control to the "down" position. (The anti-roll bars lift both front and back tires on that side of the car about 1/2 foot off the ground as the hydraulic suspension lowers the car.)
6.) Remove the flat tire and replace with the spare. (You can remove either or both tires on that side of the car.)
7.) Move the hydraulic control lever back to the "up" position.
8.) Place the wrench, strut, and the flat in the front of the radiator and engine, and close the hood.
9.) Return the hydraulic control to "normal" height and drive off.

Time, less than two minutes.  If you had two flats make sure you leave only one good tire on the back.

Citroens at that time were considered quirky or "over-engineered".  Truth is they were at least 59 years ahead of the times.  I list over 59 industry firsts, most have since been but poorly copied by other manufactures.  Only a couple have been advanced beyond their 1955 introductions.  The 1955 DS Citroen won an international award as the "Most significant manufactured thing from the last century" in 2001.  It also was recognized as the safest family car-ever, in 2005.  I would be happy to e-mail anyone my article "Back to the Future" if you would like to know real automotive history. (It is no wonder that Americans have no clue; the 1955 Citroen was designed basically during WW11 hidden from the Germans; Citroen has been very secretive of its engineering staff and their accomplishments.) "Back to the Future" was also published as a series of articles in the Citroen Car Club of Canada for international distribution.

Sorry to get so far off topic, better sailing weather tomorrow.

Citroen/Dave

'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

skip1930

Dave, Luv's it.--> "Most significant manufactured thing from the last century" in 2001. " and quirky. <--

Explains everything as to why there is Citroen dealership in Lake Forest, Illinois. Also a little ways down is a dealership for retired GTP enclosed race cars with 'point' pricing ... as in 1.2 or 1.75 meaning $1,200,000 or 1,750,000.

Now those folks ARE quirky. I wonder what kinds of boats they buy?

skip.

Bob23

Dave:
   I would love to recieve your article "Back to the Future." Address is in my profile.
  Side note, that you obvioiusly already know: In "Back to the Future 3" a Citreon makes a brief appearance. I'm a big BTTF fan...a bit obscessed, I'll admit. Some here will remember that I have masters degrees in Automobile repair, Studies in time travel, and analytical geometry. Hate to brag...
Bob23

Ted

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the tire sources.

I am not finding them at my local tire store - they said they can be ordered but the prices are pretty high, so I will check out Sam's.

- Ted
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat