a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keel scrapes and gashes

Started by ddickinson, August 29, 2013, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTMeissner

Daniel, the spacing of our rollers is likely too much for the boat.  Whether the boat is too far forward is a matter of tongue weight, if you tried to shift the boat back it would end up tippy.  It looks about the same comparing where the wheel is in relation to the boat as on my trailer.  The biggest difference I have is a third cross-bar with roller about where the axle on the trailer is, therefore three rollers instead of just the two on yours.  The spacing is such that at some point along the trailer the keel is on all three rollers, but most of the time only two are in contact.  I'm thinking that's not the trailer that came with the ComPac, or it was a poorly modified one to fit since the rollers are too narrow. 

So, in your case, probably a great candidate for a keel board instead of the rollers.

-Justin

nies

The center cross brace is missing, you can try the keel board if where you lauch it is deep enough as you will lose the ease of loading with rollers, I agree that is not the trailer that came with the boat..................good luck.................nies

nies

Another idea ,I went with Tie Down Roller Bunks from Overtons (item 2509)..............two 5 footers, used the rollers from one make a double roller keel bunk attached with U clamps to frame.....................works great for $130 and well worth it when loading.........nies

nies

Oops item ,25019.............nies

JTMeissner

Dan, found a picture from when I was trying to fix up the trailer, shows three cross members and wider rollers for my 16.  Sorta matches your fifth picture in angle.

-Justin

ddickinson

My plan is to take out at least the front roller and replace with a 2x6 or 8 or 10 or something.  Can I just slap it down the center and bolt it on.  I only have 2 crossbars?  Not like Justin's 3.   Do you think it would just Bend and not even be a good as existing set up  ( all the weight on 1 broken roller)?

nies

Run a piece of L steet iron down each side of a 2x8 and you will be fine or add center brace..................nies