a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

topping lift

Started by dontpanic, October 01, 2013, 09:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

I just bought a 1981 ComPac 16.  Looking forward to completing repairs and be ready to sail this spring.

I have a question about topping lifts.  Looking a various ComPac 16 photos on-line, it seems like a lot of the boats have topping lifts, but a lot don't.  I would like to know if the 1981 model had a topping lift.  Looking at the rigging that came with the boat it does not appear that there is a topping lift.

If I wanted to add one, how would that be done?

Great forum, spent a few hours already looking through it.

Thanks

nies

Attach a small block below top of mast, run a light line, 1/4 inch, from end of boom ( dog snap will work) to block at the top and down the mast to a small cleat you will need to attach to side of mast, once the height is established should not have to change, once the sail is raised you can unsnap and attach to downhaul until needed when lowering the sail..............has worked for me since I bought my 78'.................nies

Spartan

dontpanic,

I have at 1980 CP-16 and have a topping lift.  A must have in my opinion.  At the top of the mast there should be a ring to tie a small diameter line 1/8 or 3/16" and at the boom end I have a clips to the "butterfly" it is labeled in the Com-Pac manual ( the tang that the mainsheet block that attaches at the boom end. See picture attached.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Tom
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

marc

I attach a 1/8"  line to a hole in the mast top casting, run it down to a small block that I attached to an existing hole at the end of the boom and then tie it off to a clamcleat line-lok. Picture of the line-lok is here: http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleats.asp?menuid=7

This way I can make adjustments to the topping lift from the cockpit. Cheap too. Small block less than $10, line-lok $2.40 through fisheriessupply.com

dontpanic

Thanks for the quick replies.  I see now that the problem is that there is no connection point for a topping lift at the top of the mast.  However, there is plenty of room between the two sheeves. so it should be easy to drill a small hole in the center between the sheeves for an attachment point for a small block.

The line-lok idea solves another problem for me that I had for a long time.  I built a 15 ft wooden runabout a few years ago, and I keep it covered while it is on the trailer.  It has always been a pain to tie on the tarp and to untie it each time.  It looks like the link-lok is the perfect solution.

Thanks

Salty19

The hole in the aluminum casting at the top of the mast IS the connection point. Just tie a knot to secure the 1/8" line
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

dontpanic

Salty 19.  My problem was that there are NO holes in the casting at the top of the mast.  That's why I couldn't figure out where to make the attachment.  However, with the help of this forum, I can see that all I have to do is drill a hole.

Since, there is not a hole in the casting at the top of my mast, it makes me wonder (only a little) whether I have the correct spars.

So, I will ask that question separately.

Since this boat is all new to me, I imagine I will have a lot of questions!

Thanks to all.

hinmo

ok - now I am confused (...and a newbie)

Does the lift line attach to the tang/butterfly as the pic shows or the "hole on the boom"?

if not the tang, what goes on the tang?

I have both on my '82

nies

You can use either, I choose the boom because I felt it was the better choice because it put less pressure on the tang......................nies

Spartan

I agree with neis, (even though I posted the picture from the owners manual.  My CP16 has a casting on the end of the boom where the topping lift clips on, the second hole (forward of the first)  is where the block for the outhaul is attached   see below:

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan