a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard stand

Started by brackish, February 26, 2013, 12:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Admiral tired of that outboard laying on the garage floor? >:(  Yeah, I know, nothing really unique about this, I stole it off another site, adapted it to my outboard, however, be advised that periodically Harbor Freight puts those furniture dollies on sale for ten bucks.  They make a good starting point.  Couple of 2x4's, some deck screws and glue and for less than $20 you have a decent stand for storage and service work.  This one a little taller than most to accomodate the 25" shaft on my brand spanking new Sail Pro.

Tim Gardner

Beats the pants off my 55 gal drum with a 2X6 bolted to it.

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

jthatcher

nice job.. and nice motor!   i am about to place an order for  the tohatsu sailpro.     it is handy to have  a stand that can be rolled from place to place..   we must have got plans from the same site..  i built one last year, but now i need a new engine to hang on it!    i love the internet -   the ability to share ideas, plans, etc is i just amazing  jt

Bob23

Very nice. I like the use of clamps so you can still use it to move furniture. Mine just hangs in my shed for the winter. Similiar to Tim, my service solution is a 2x6 screwed to the side of the shed which allows me to run the motor in a barrel of fresh water at the end of each season. Yeah- back woods solution but it works well! When not in use, I unsrew it. The ever patient Admiral Linda quietly tolerates it!
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on February 27, 2013, 04:28:14 AM
Very nice. I like the use of clamps so you can still use it to move furniture.
Bob23

Clamps were temporary while I checked the fit. Hey at ten bucks, I can dedicate it, already had a nicer one I had made for moving furniture. I ended up revising the motor stand from the picture, shortening it by about 4" which also moved the motor forward about an inch.  Better balance and the lower height makes it easier to service the motor.  I can still get a bucket under it if needed to flush, however, I am in fresh water so not an issue at this time.  Plus, I'm pretty sure the flush adaptor for my other motor will fit this one.

Can't wait to swap them out and give it a try, weather is currently not cooperating.  I'm already happy with the fact that I can lift this one and mount it by myself without having to disconnect the truck and drive under the motor mount to do that job.

brackish

Quote from: jthatcher on February 26, 2013, 10:37:21 PM
nice job.. and nice motor!   i am about to place an order for  the tohatsu sailpro.      jt

The Tohatsu is exactly the same.  The Nissan is actually made by Tohatsu, but is priced higher strictly for brand/marketing reasons.  When I went to order, there were new 2012 Nissans left that were discounted because they were a model year old.  The discount priced them below the Tohatsu, so I bought the Nissan.  There were no changes between the model years.  Would only make a difference in resale value, however, I plan to keep it so long, It won't really matter.  Besides, it only gets about 25 hours of use per year. :)

kickingbug1

i have a permant one built on the side of my workbench but i think once i sell my fishing boat i will have more room and will built a  roll about one like yours---pretty sweet indeed
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

EclipseGuy

I built the same one about a year ago. I don't remember where I saw the picture but it looked like an easy mount to make so I built it.

I built mine double wide because I have two outboards (one is for a tender).

I have the same 6 HP 25 inch Tohatsu Sail Pro as others have mentioned in this thread. It works great with the Eclipse.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

nies

Last year I Googled " outboard stand " and watched a video on building one, adapted the ideas to match my motor and with a few hardware store wheels and scrap lumber built a pair for my motors with room on the base for the gas tank...................nies

MacGyver

;) That is really cool. Might be on my future shop build list.

My wife asked me about our motor laying on the garage floor, so I grabbed a 2x6 around 2.5 feet long and clamped it in my ROCKWELL JAWHORSE then setup the Mariner 4hp on it.

Why she was mad the motor was on the floor in MY shop is beyond me, but hey, the motor mount on the boat is on the floor now.......where should the motor have been???  ::)

LOL
Looks like this idea might hold not only my Mariner, but my Seagull as well.  ;D

Thanks for posting it!
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

Harbor Freight maxi hand truck provided this new stand for both my 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke elec start and my 6hp 2 stroke Evinrude yachtwin, and there's even room for my 5HP Merc 4 stroke.

89.00 plus 6 1/4 X 4" bolts & nylock nuts to attach the 2X12 to the truck.  I bolted the fold down base to the fixed base for more stability.

Just a suggestion.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.