a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

furling for C-19/1 with bow sprit upgrade

Started by comfortably numb, August 15, 2013, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comfortably numb

New to the C-19 this yr, started to look into jib furling.. but wait, the head stay is a nano-hair from contacting the bow pulpit ! No room for a rolled jib! Not unless the drum were raised about a foot, sails cut, not. Buy a new 19-2 pulpit, not, ( stainless clashes with aluminum ) move stay back, not. Guess I will do without. Anyone else face this problem?  ???

skip1930

I put a bow sprit onto a sprit less CP-19.
Since the kit comes with a turnbuckle on the dolphin stay
it is a simple chore to relax the stern stay, allowing the mast to cant forward
attach the pin on the end of the bow sprit and tighten the back stay and then tweak the dolphin.
The hardest part was removing the factory bow eye from inside the chain locker. Had to grind off the
nuts and drift out the studs of the eye. A new eye is the anchor for the new bow stay. Then a furler
was installed.

skip.

Salty19

Hey C-Numb,

Take a look at Island Time next time you're at the marina. The bow pulpit extends farther than CP19/I versions, allowing plenty of room for headsail and furler, which is attached at the forestay connection point, making the furler as low as possible. 
The CP19/I Bow pulpit is shorter, if you can bend some new tubing and rivet the new longer tube to the original pulpit, that will give you clearance and won't cost too much.   

You'll still probably need to cut the sails and put luff tape on it for a furler.

Which reminds me...I have totally forgot to put the 110% jib on your boat.  Sorry about, I'll bring it this weekend. :-[

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

comfortably numb

Thanks Guys, Yes I neglected to mention that the conversion is in place from the PO. I will look closer as to the pulpit's construction, maybe a solution to extend. Yep, did look at Island Time. I forgot about your jib too Salty, coming from your model it might be the larger of the two boats, I do know that after the 19/1, sail area was increased 8 or 10 sq ft do to the addition of sprit,I think. Utilizing that jib may stop the flutter of the leach I am experiencing when beating with my 110, with the jib car in the fully forward position. If not, will be looking at some new hardware to get the sheet further forward in a more vertical line so I can tighten the luff. Will give it a try , then we can talk. Thanks, maybe see you out there today or tomorrow!

Salty19

We'll be out there Saturday, probably around 3:00 or so.  I will bring that jib!  I bet it will be cut in a way that sheeting will solve your problem...well, we can hope anyway.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

comfortably numb

Skip - I re-read your post, how did you install furling? My headstay is about 1/4" aft of the pulpit rail with the bow sprit in place, leaving no room for a furled sail. Thanks