a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16 cockpit storage compartment

Started by Cevin c Taylor, August 20, 2015, 08:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

I thought I would share  my cockpit storage compartment project.  One thing I miss with  my '83 cp 16 is a secure  place to put things in the cockpit.  I like having things close at hand, but not rolling around  on the benches.  Also when things get dicey, I like to keep the cabin closed.  So I came up with this idea to use the otherwise largely unused area under the companionway.  You can't see it here, but there is a good sized plastic container behind the hatch.  So, it keeps everything together, and even if the cockpit filled with water and the hatch was open, little, if any would get in the cabin.  I made a 3/4 inch plywood backing plate for the hatch, and the container is screwed into that.  Think of a Rubbermaid type container rotated onto its side and then with screws going throuh the lip of it into the wood, which has a hole cut into it the size of the hatch opening.  On a couple of rough Sails recently , it was great to have safety items in it.  I could get at them without opening the cabin  or lazarette.  I also store items there that I tend to misplace.

Duckie

I like that.  Did you caulk the seam between the ply and the plastic tub?  I also think that it is important to have secure storage for emergency equipment available in the cockpit so that you don't have to open the cabin in dicey conditions.  I am just now finishing up a storage box for the stern of my 88' C 16 III which has no lazarette.  I built a box that fits in the space at the stern of the cockpit where there is apparently a space for just such a unit or a larger gas can.  My box is for wet storage of lines, gas cans, ditch bag, etc.  I don't think that a person can have too much organized storage on a small boat.   

Nicely done.

Al

Cevin c Taylor

Al,
I didn't, but it would be easy to go back and do it.  I also made a smaller one at the aft end of the foot well of the cockpit bench, and I might make another.  I agree  you can't  have too much space.

MKBLK

Ooh, I like it! Makes perfect sense. I too don't like the idea of having to dive below to get at safety equipment if needed. Can you provide some more detailed info regarding where you obtained the hatch, etc?

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Duckie

You can buy hatch covers in many sizes from Duckworks.com.  I installed a pair in the cockpit of my Weekender last winter and am very happy with the result. 

Al

Floridagent

FYI -- The URL for Duckworks.com is for sale.  The Duckworks Boat Supply URL is www.duckworksbbs.com/
//Bob
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

capt_nemo

My solution to "secure", "at hand" cockpit storage was to utilize the otherwise wasted space under the tiller swing to fit an aft cockpit storage locker on my Sun Cat.

Works quite well and can be fitted to most boats.

capt_nemo

Cevin c Taylor

Capt Nemo - very nice!  I wish I had your woodworking ability!

Here is the hatch door that I used.  It has an outer diameter of 8", so it leaves 1/2" clearance on the top and bottom of the hatch.  It was $60 with shipping included:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191485363203?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

MKBLK

Wolverine - Just ordered one. You ought to get a commission. Now when you comin over to install it! :)

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Cevin c Taylor

Quote from: MKBLK on August 25, 2015, 07:17:45 AM
Wolverine - Just ordered one. You ought to get a commission. Now when you comin over to install it! :)
Marty K.

I'd love to help, but don't think I can make it to PA.  Just remember to measure twice (or more), and cut once.  I hesitated more than once before sawing into that fiberglass.  I found a container at WalMart that was the perfect size for inside the cabin in back of the hatch.  It's height was the same as the depth of the area available.