a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Newbie Question

Started by azabeemerboy, August 14, 2013, 10:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azabeemerboy

I am trying to find the proper name of the two "slide" fitting with thumb screw tighteners which fit on the CP19 mast above and below the boom?  My boat is missing one and it sure would help if I knew what to ask for :-\

Thanks

MacGyver

They call those SLIDE STOPS.

They should cost about 10 bucks or so, and you might want to buy a extra. I dont have a extra and I know Ill need one someday........ I am tempting fate I guess.....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

azabeemerboy

Thanks Mac, you made my day!!

Barry

Billy

Never heard them called slide stops. I've always called them track stops.

Barry,
If you come to Tampa Bay I have about 3 of them you can have. Only problem is they are at the bottom of St. Joesph Sound  :(

Or you could get some here....
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=11083&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50110&classNum=50111#.Ugy9I1fb2Jo
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

wes

The Davis 2350 seems to work well on my 19 and is most similar to the original ones. I found the diameter of the threaded bolt was a little too large, making it hard to move it in the track, so I used a bench grinder to flatten the sides just a little bit, in the area where they contact the slot (not where the nut threads on, of course).

Don't buy from Worst Marine if you can help it. Defender has consistently lower prices, friendlier service, more reasonable shipping charges. Their price is $8.99. Only a dollar savings on this particular item, but wait til you try and buy a gallon of bottom paint!

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Billy

Wes, I too had to grind my threads down a bit.....

Worst Marine....  ;D ;D ;D I never heard that before but that is funny.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Welcome. Now the big question: Are you a car beemer boy or a motorcycle beemer boy?
Bob23

Vipersdad

I tried one and it didn't fit very well so I returned it and now use a tight bungee above the feeder slot in the mast to keep the slugs from coming out when I drop the mainsail.  I can slide the bungee up and down when needed.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Greene

When I bought our 23 it came with a stop and I was happy to see it.  My previous boats didn't have one and I could certainly see the advantage of having one.  Of course the very first time out with the 23 I dropped the stop immediately overboard.  I decided to make my own by buying a 24" chunk of aluminum round rod.  I cut a 2 1/2 inch piece, drilled a hole near each end and then tapped them out.  A couple of hardware store knobs with male threads made perfect tighteners.  Now I have a longer stop with two tightening bolts that is much harder to drop and lose.  I made up a spare though, just in case.

Mike (fumble fingers) Greene
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Fumbles:
   That's a great idea for making a homemade stop...I might steal your idea. I have never lost a stop (yet) because I only remove/install at season's end and beginning.
Bob23

brackish

after seeding the bottom with a number of expensive dropped stops, :'( I went to this.  Cost about four bucks.