Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What to look for buying a 16

Started by buzzards27, August 06, 2013, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzards27

New member, first post.

DW (former Ensign owner) and I are about to look at a 16 today. Not sure if that owner is here so I don't want to disclose to much about where we are right now.

Beyond the obvious what should we be watching out for? I am a retired finish carpenter and know to look for structural integrity and rot.

Spartan

I had a similiar question asked of me on Sunday as I was closing up my CP-16 this weekend.

I'm sure a number of posts will follow but here's my two cents.

Just for any signs of leaks inside, especially where deck meets hull inside. 
Just for any wood rot in the cabin.
Make sure all the parts are there, and are they the right parts (when I bought mine the tiller had been replaced by a tree limb trimmed to fit)
I like to check all the stays, cleats, tangs inside and out making sure all are solid for saftey. 
make sure the compression post is present and solid, I've seen pictures of some CP-16 where it was missing....
Check Sails - take them out of the bag to check
Check running lights / any electrical wiring (not a big deal but if you need to fix it might be a point to negotiate)
Check that the mast step is solidly bolted down
Check the trailer - tires, wheels, berrings (at least ask when last time serviced) safety chains, safety pin in coupler etc.

Fact is our little boats are pretty darn solid and if floating and no major hull / deck damage most else is fixable if you are willing to do so.

Inventory anything else that is included, cushions, life jackets, motor, radio's spare parts,

I'd also reccomend a great book - Called "Fix it and Sail" by Brian Gilbert - has great suggestions for "surveying" and resotring trailer sailers.

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

wes

Another excellent resource is Don Casey's "This Old Boat," available on Amazon for $31 in hard cover (get the 2009 revised addition, not the 1991 original). His entire first chapter is devoted to inspecting and buying an older boat. After you've bought the boat, the rest of the book will lead you through electrical wiring, fiberglass repair, painting, and even (if you are truly adventurous) sail making. Highly recommended for anyone who plans to buy, own and maintain a good old boat. This is a book that has a permanent place on my nightstand, and I open it up every time I need to deal with a repair that's new to me.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Spartan

This Old Boat ($27.47) and Fix it and Sail ($11.49)  both are available as Kindle Books as well through amazon.com
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Citroen/Dave

The CP 16/2 is a better boat.  Sail center of effort is slightly forward of the original CP 16 easing up the tendency to have a strong weather helm, by way of the bowsprit and slightly different main and jib.  Also at some point the cabin roof is no longer a laminate that can rot if the cabin mountings leak. A replacement Ida rudder or home made hydrofoil rudder  is a plus for better handling.  Some appreciate the center board model for better up wind performance.

However, any CP16 is far better than none. . .

My 2 cents worth.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"