a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16 headstay adjustment

Started by jb, July 15, 2013, 10:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

nearing completion of my refurb and my 96  is ready  for the water. In looking at the manual that came with the boat, it states:

"..Screw the headstay turnbuckle almost closed so that there is a forward rake on the mast"...

My question, if this is still the correct advise, how much is almost closed? If I was to put a weight on the end of the jib halyard and let it hand to the deck, how many inches of forward rake should I have?

I was surprised with the instructions because I have been use to putting aft rakes on masts.

thanks in advance for any responses.

j

BobK

jb,
I would start with the top of the mast about 2" forward.  Take it out for a sail and see how much weather helm you have.  If it is excessive rake it a little more forward - if there is a lee helm bring it upright a little.  There is no true measurement since it will differ based on the condition and cut of your sails.
Bobk

jb

front turnbuckle is practically closed and still have lots of weather helm. What other options are there, loosen the shrouds a turn or two, more jib/less main, does the Ida Rudder make a significant difference? Is there a preferred tiller control mechanism ( like tiller tammer) for the CP-16s?

thanks for any suggestions.

j

BobK

With your current adjustment is the top of the mast leaning forward?

jb

doesn't appear to have much or any lean?

I tried hanging a weight from the main halyard to the deck to take some type of measurement for the lean, but the forestay and mast light interfered.

trying to post a picture, but unsuccessful...so far

deisher6

Hey JB just my two cents worth.  An Ida Rudder makes a major difference.  With our old sails we had about 2-3 degrees of forward rake and still a bunch of weather helm.  The ida rudder helped more than new sails.  Do not be hesitant to loosen the side stays to get more rake, the rig doesn't have to be super tight, our leeward stay is a little slack when sailing  close hauled.
regards charlie

jb

thanks Charlie, loosing the side stays will be my first task. Ida Rudder on the future list.

BobK

When I had my first 16 I had to cut about 1/2" off of the ends of both studs and re-drill them for the cotter pins.  If you try this run a nut up the stud before cutting (from experience to re align the threads).  You can also try to move the pocket of the sail closer to the mast by making sure the halyard is tight enough to remove any slack in the front of the sail and to make sure the adjustment at the end of the boom is tight.

jb

thanks BobK,

Did the cut studs and the new forstay adjustment solve the problem??  I'll be more aware of the those sail adjustments on the next sail.

nies

Ida rubber makes a big difference, and I would level the boat and reset all stays for the mast at 90 degress and start over in adjusting a little at a time.............sometimes its better to go back to square one.........just my two cents...nies

BobK

The CP 16 is prone to weather helm.  Tilting the mast forward did not eliminate weather helm totally  but made the boat considerably easier to sail especially in heavy weather.  My CP23 also had weather helm.  Tilting the mast forward eliminated 70% and adding a foiled rudder eliminated the remainder and acted like power steering.

c