Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

dirt under bow pulpit mounts

Started by texasnomad, July 14, 2013, 11:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texasnomad

Hi,

I removed the bow pulpit on my 1981 CP16 today in preparation for painting the deck.  Under each mount on the deck there was an impressive mound of dirt that had built up.  The crud appears to be getting in there through the joint where the tube enters the top of the mount.  The two pieces are riveted together but its somewhat loose with enough space for water and grime to enter.  However, due to the sealant used between the mount and the deck, there is no simple way for the water or dirt to escape without impedence.  I'm brainstorming ideas on how best to remount these after I paint.   Anyone had experience solving this problem?

Thanks in advance,

DH

skip1930

So the aluminum base with three screws through the deck into a hard points has a tube from the pulpit inserted and riveted making one leg for the pulpit. Times the quantity of legs.

O.K. we have slop between the tubes and the base resulting in a collection of crud. And crud under the base at the fiberglass deck.
When I mounted my new stern pulpit [welded] all of my bases with a 1/4" HUMW plastic pad between the deck and the base with 3-M 5200 slow-set goop on all mating surfaces. [My personal favorite].

If there be any gaps open and not sealed ... "There Shall Be Dirt Collecting." Is it a big deal?

Not much help. Sorry

skip.