- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

water tank treatment

Started by floatinhippir, August 13, 2013, 05:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floatinhippir

Just wondering what is best to use for bladder water tank treatment? Thanks

NateD

I try to keep very little water in the bladder on my 23 (hard to get it completely empty though). I add a couple gallons before I take it out for the weekend, then try to pump it dry before I leave it for the week again. However, once or twice a year I will pull the bladder out, put some dish soap in it, add a couple gallons of water, slosh it around, let it sit for a few hours, slosh it around some more, dump it out and rinse a few times. That usually takes care of any off-taste in the water. I've tried leaving the bladder in place and sending a small amount of bleach through the system, but that didn't seem to help with the taste. Maybe someone else has a simpler way that removing the bladder to clean it out.

skip1930

How many gallons is the bladder capacity?
I'm not familiar with this set-up. But I guess it's like a bladder in a wine box, up scaled.

When I was a kid, dad cut and glued a plastic water tank together as a replacement for a rotted metal tank that came with the River Queen houseboat . It was about 4 foot long x 2-1/2 foot wide and about 10 inches high.

To keep the tank sweet we filled it up with reverse osmosis [R/O] water from our home kitchen set-up at the sink.
Very advanced for it's time.
R/O water is great tasting because the water molecules are the ONLY molecules to pass through the membrane.
This water is so pure it has no taste.

skip.