Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Headsail Furling

Started by Alec Hart, April 30, 2005, 10:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Hart

Hello all -

Anyone knwo what brand furler Hutchins used on the CP 27 in the late 80's (1989 mdl. year)?

Mine needs service and I was trying to locate a tech manual.  Looks like an early Profurl with the wire bails around the drum - but not particularly similar to anything on Profurl's website...

Let's go Sailing!

Anonymous

sorry about the late reply alec. i live in cape coral also. the year i have is a 1988 (actually a late selling '87). The manufacturer of the roller furler that came from the factory this particular year is Isomat. The furler is called Isofurl. It is a French company. I don't have alot of paper work on it, just a brochure-looking pamphlet. But, if you would like to see it, you can call me at 573-4663. I live down the end of Everest Pkwy. take care, Dave.

Alec Hart

Dave, small world - I work at Everest and Del Prado.  Been sailing in the Caloosahachee when time and tide permit!  Would love to meet - talk about Com-Pac running/standing rigging.  I love our 27/2, but have started looking at daysailers/catboats to take out for "quick runs" up and down the river... (could I end up a two boat owner!!!???)

I'll give you a call - would like to see the information you have on Isofurl.

Alec 849-4287

spaul

Yes, the isomat furler is a French design. I worked for them (the French) for many years but that's another story.
The furler is one-piece and the fruler rod is the forestay. Replacement rods are pretty pricey so I decided to replace mine with a Harken unit.
Mine was damaged in a tornado  but I still have all the parts. If you need something let me know. It could be you just need to take it apart and replace something or clean and lube. Remember, the sail groove rod is the forestay so if you decide to drop it, tie off the mast with the jib halyard or something.
Good luck,
Steve
cp27/2
Nashville, IN

Alec Hart

Steve;

Thanks for the info - I may take you up on the parts offer - I'm going to remove my headsail in August and really go over the furling system.  It seems to work fine - but the furling drum has two big "chips" out of the top and bottom - which if I get into the unit - would be nice to replace...

The standing rig seems "loose" and I think the forstay needs to be tighten - Tried once but couldn't determine what I needed to turn - so I stopped (had the mast supported as you pointed out).  With the sail off, I'm going to see what I can see - and as you probably read - there's someone here in Cape Coral with Isofurl info that may be helpful.

So, hold on to those pieces-parts!  Thanks,

Alec

spaul

Hi Alec, I believe you're on the right track with Pro-furl. They are-were made in France and the sail tube is "the forestay" if you didn't know that. I have one here under my deck. It's a long story. Let me know if you figure out what you need. Mine was slightly kinked in a dis-masting last Spring and the insurance company was willing to replace it with a new Harken unit. I was thinking of using it as a base for a swimming pool cover, if you need some parts we could talk. The sail tube is one piece however which is a big pain in the arse for shipping.
I'm sure parts are available, or you could take it to a good and small local machine shop. I'll bet good money they can make the parts. By the way, what's going on with this beast? Gerry Hutchins can likely offer advice on where to obtain parts.
Steve
Nashville, IN
cp 27/2 "IM PAUL SIVE"

curtis

Profurl and isofurl are both French companies at this point but they are
completely different furlers and I don't think there is any common company that used to make isofurl and now ownes Profurl.

Profurl was a Florida company (I think) but was bought about two years ago by Wichart which is a French company.

There is definitely a forestay inside the foil (the aluminum tube) with a ProFurl.  It is the same forestay that was on your boat before the furler was added.  Its a bit harder to get at the turnbuckle to adjust the forestay but that is hidden under the furler drum.

Curtis

PHOENIXCP27

Try www.rigrite.com.  I have received some quotes and they are a bit pricey.  I was going to change out the upper piece (non swiveling) with the the haylard swivel and the cost was around $400.  Just decided to hold off for a while and replace the entir furling system.

PHOENIXCP27

Try www.rigrite.com.  I have received some quotes and they are a bit pricey.  I was going to change out the upper piece (non swiveling) with the the haylard swivel and the cost was around $400.  Just decided to hold off for a while and replace the entir furling system.

Alec Hart

Thanks for all the great info on the furling manufacture.  It'll be invaluable when it comes time to rebuild/maintain this equipment.    

I was just reading that with a mast head rig, the backstay can be used to tension the headstay and help shape the Jenny.  The reason I started looking at the roller furler in the first place was that I thought the headstay needed to be tightened.  In the meantime (and during Hurricane Season) I have pulled the twin backstay wires together to tension the rig and keep the mast from "pumping" in the wind.  Got me thinking maybe a block and tackle (which I have - sitting on my living room floor) would work as a backstay tensioning set-up.  

Anyone know what the "rake" of the mast on a 27/2 should be? Or have a backstay adjuster in use?  I haven't had the boat out (yet) with the backstay tightened, but I don't think it will effect performance much (if at all).

Thanks!

PHOENIXCP27

Spaul:  

Do you still have Isofurl parts around.  I am looking for the Halyard Locking Car Assembly.  

Thanks,
Joe Bondi

thedavo

Alec, I know it has been a long time since this thread had seen any response. I just recently put a backstay adjuster on the boat and am really pleased with the results. You are welcome to come over and check it out.  I find that it is real handy for going upwind with some tension on  and adds a little kick off the wind by allowing the genoa to belly out some with the backstay eased. Feel free to call anytime. Dave.

Alec Hart

Thanks Dave - I did add one to mine as well and would agree it has helped.  Been too busy to sail lately - bummer : o (