a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ComPac 19 - Topping Lift, and Other Rigging Questions

Started by ngatewd, July 06, 2013, 07:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngatewd

We have a mid-80's ComPac 19 and have several rigging questions.  Any advice will be appreciated.  Here they are:

Should the jib sheets for the working jib run between the two stays?

Can someone provide a good diagram for an adjustable topping lift?

Can someone provide a good diagram for a reefing line at aft end of boom?

Can the mainsail be successfully washed in a laundry mat washer?

What is the intended method for holding down the cover of the gas tank at aft of cockpit?  Mine has a keyhole opening on starboard side.  Is that part of a hold down?

As a small contribution to this group, I will tell you I have replaced the main sheet at the aft of the cockpit with a traveler just aft of the cabin hatch.  This is a real improvement (!) and worth considering.

marc

I run my sheets outside the shrouds. The owner's manual says run the sheets between the upper & lower shrouds. I tried that but my jib sheets were always hard against the upper shrouds. Think I have a 150 genoa.

[ No diagram but what I do is have a line attached to the top of the mast head. It runs down through a clamcleat line lok and then through a small block at the end of the mast. The end of the line then attaches to the line lok. This allows me to make adjustments to the boom height as needed. Picture and description of line lok are here: http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleats.asp?menuid=7

No diagram but my reefing line goes through a cheek block near the end of the boom and then ties off to a horn cleat also on the boom.[/size]

Can the mainsail be successfully washed in a laundry mat washer?size=10pt]
I wouldn't do that. You want your sail to be as crisp and wrinkle free as possible. I just lay my sail out on a tarp laying on the grass. I then use a nylon brush and oxiclean to clean it followed by a thorough rinse

MacGyver

YES, this doesnt work for a Genoa, which needs them run on the outside of the stays.

No diagram either, but It is a 1/8 inch Dacron line knotted at the mast head, then runs to the end of the boom, it then attaches to a bail. above that connection is another knotted off loop, that I can hook into the bail to raise it for the use of our bimini at dock.

Was your boom rigged already like mine from the factory for reefing? if so, I think it is a single line, knotted off in a small bail, then through the reef hole, down to the other side thru a block, then to a cleat on the boom...... I cant remember if this also accomplishes the outhaul or not...

Can the mainsail be successfully washed in a laundry mat washer?
No, as far as I have seen that is not a good idea, and a couple guys have used oxyclean, said that works fantastic, sails come out really clean. Use a scrub brush and oxyclean solution (or tide??) and then scrub them, rinse ans allow to dry.

What is the intended method for holding down the cover of the gas tank at aft of cockpit?  Mine has a keyhole opening on starboard side.  Is that part of a hold down?
Mine has 2 small pieces of wood on each side that hold it in place, the whole part is a L shape, and just covers the tank, no locks or anything....

As a small contribution to this group, I will tell you I have replaced the main sheet at the aft of the cockpit with a traveler just aft of the cabin hatch.  This is a real improvement (!) and worth considering.

Please post pictures or take them and email them to me, I would like to see this.
I might not actually change to this setup, as for me it wouldnt allow the use of my bimini over the cockpit / companionway, but i am always intersted to see things like this as I am sure are many on the site.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

No need for a topping lift on any CP-19, unless you want one. I just cut a piece of cable and U-clamped that to the back stay with a quick clip that I can clip through one of the holes in the boom's cast aluminum end cap.

I don't want anything aloft that is not necessary.

Should the jib sheets for the working jib run between the two stays? No not for me. The headsail sheet when in the block in the track should point toward the center of the headsail.

Can someone provide a good diagram for an adjustable topping lift? You need a pulley aloft, a line and a cleat.

Can someone provide a good diagram for a reefing line at aft end of boom? Jiffy Reef? It's in the manual. Must have grommets in the sail. My reef lines hang from the sail all the time.

Can the mainsail be successfully washed in a laundry mat washer? No . Carefully hand wash with a soft brush and gentle brushing in grass with gentle powdered Tide and minimum wrinkling or tussling about of the sail cloth.

What is the intended method for holding down the cover of the gas tank at aft of cockpit?  Mine has a keyhole opening on starboard side.  Is that part of a hold down? Gravity holds the cover down over the fuel tank. Nothing else. She slides down behind two [port and starboard] pieces of trim. No 'keyhole'. What ever that is.

As a small contribution to this group, I will tell you I have replaced the main sheet at the aft of the cockpit with a traveler just aft of the cabin hatch.  This is a real improvement (!) and worth considering. Boats too small for the CP-19 forward cockpit to be cluttered with a traveler blocking the gangway. And mid-ships attachment on the boom? What's the percentage? Or advantage. Does the boat sail faster? And do we run a boom vang?

skip.