Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing Northern Door County

Started by Jason, July 23, 2013, 09:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Hi Everyone,

Returned last night from a very enjoyable 4 day sail with my brother in a 1981 Compac 16 around Northern Door County Wisconsin in Lake Michigan/Green Bay.  Drove from home (Sussex) and got to Gill's Rock at 9am Friday, it was empty and the launch was closed so we drove south to Ellison Bay and launched from there (added some miles to our sailing trip as it was further south than we had expected to launch).  Launched at 10:30am.

We sailed out into Green Bay and met with a strong South Wind which had plenty of room up the bay to build good sized waves.  These were the highest following seas and largest waves that I had sailed in, and it was an adventure.  We were tethered in, with lifevests on, and manning the tiller was a constant job as the waves kept trying to turn the boat sideways.  We had great memories over the trip; the best ones were in the high sea's and those also were the times when we were holding on tight and concentrating and no one was willing to try to reach the camera!  So those moments will have to be memories, but we got nice photo's during the calmer moments.

We made very good time up around Washington Island and rounded the point into Washington Harbor in early afternoon.  Washington Harbor had a beautiful round stone beach and we also snorkeled around the wreck of the Louisiana.  the Louisiana was a big ole steam ship that blew ashore after an explosion in a gale.  It is in shallow water in the southeast corner of the bay; it is an easily explored wreck.  Washington Harbor is a nice bay, but is fully open to the north, and as the afternoon wore on, the wind shifted to the north, and we wound up having a rolling night in the cabin sleeping.  I was worried we would catch a bit of mal de mer, but we slept great (and slept well the whole trip) in the cabin.  11lb claw anchor held well. 

Sunrise in Washington Harbor.

Woke up early and by the time we were ready to sail at around 6am the wind had quickly built to 16mph from the north!  It was blowing straight into the bay and built the biggest waves of the trip.  Sailing out of the bay was very exciting but we made it, and then had a bouncy broad reach east to Jackson Harbor.  We took consistent waves over the bow, and had one boarding wave come over us from the side and fall into the cockpit, great adventure.  I was impressed by how quickly the water drained out the scuppers.  Jackson Harbor is very quiet and picturesque, the entrance is very tricky and we needed to execute a jibe in waves and wind to make the turn into the narrow channel.  Be very cautious of the shoals east of the harbor channel, they are abrupt. Also, I would not recommend any attempt to sail through the passage between Rock island and Washington Island, it is about 6inches deep.  Had a nice breakfast in Jackson Harbor, and took a walk around the small fishing museum.

At the dock in Jackson harbor:

Sailed over to Rock island, anchored, swam ashore, and explored the island, including the Viking Hall and old Potowatamie Lighthouse.  Sailed back, anchored, and overnighted in Jackson Harbor.  Well sheltered, good nights sleep.  It was in the 40's at night, but the bunk was cozy.  Propane stove served us well for the trip .

Sailed out from Jackson Harbor in the morning under nice north wind.  Rock Island with lighthouse:

Have to keep a sharp eye, there are big ships out here!  We had the radar reflector up and always monitored ch16.

Then the wind suddenly died, but somehow the waves remained.  Being mostly an inland lake sailor, this was a new and challenging situation.  The waves were pushing us south, so, with +20miles to go that day, we begrudgingly fired up the motor and motored around the top of rock island.  Down the east shore of Rock and Washington Island we had mostly 0kt winds, with an occasional puff which we harnessed with a wing-on-wing sail arrangement. Also took up the oars and rowed.  Got bored and motored some more, over all motored 5 miles of about 20miles that day. 

Wind gauge, becalmed on the east side of Washington Island:

Wind finally picked up as we approached Detroit Island, and we sailed nicely around it, between Detroit and Pilot Island, and then up into Detroit Harbor for the night.  Anchored out overnight in Detroit Harbor.  Nice still night. 
Moon over Detroit Harbor:

On the last day we sailed back to Ellison Bay.  We had decent wind, but highly variable.  We made a real nice quick broad reach across the channel/Portes Des Mortes passage, but the wind shifted and we needed to beat from Portes Des Mortes down to the entrance of Ellison Bay, at about that point the wind shifted again and we needed to keep beating into the harbor.  Very fine sailing conditions on the last day.

Overall it was a wonderful and challenging trip.  The boat performed great.  We had full stomachs , good nights sleep, and a good variation of sailing conditions.  The birds were also enjoyable to watch; we saw many White Pelicans, White Egrets, Blue Herons, a flock of Swans, and a Bald Eagle.  If you go, be well prepared regarding your boat and safety gear, and study the charts, as the conditions change quickly, there are some big boats about, some rocky shores, and shoals to be aware of.  I would recommend watching the forecast carefully and don't head out in bad weather.  This is a pretty area to sail and we will be back; perhaps we will sail up to St.Martin Island next time.  My brother and I had a great trip together and that was the best part.

Happy Sailing,

Jason Talbot, Sussex WI

1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

skip1930

"  Also, I would not recommend any attempt to sail through the passage between Rock island and Washington Island, it is about 6inches deep.  "

In the early season, those rocks were above water and people could walk 'tween the islands and not have wet feet.
Your sailing in my back yard. Glad you enjoyed it. Fun Hey??
Nice write up.

That vessel encountered is a pusher tug that fits into a once self powered freighter that has had it's stern cut off and a vee notch welded in. Nowadays, BayShip Building makes a pretty good business making these modifications to these old freighters and building the tugs. The reason for these mods is to cut down on the crew size and by doing so no union wages need be paid.

skip.

jthatcher

what a great report!  it sounds like you had a wonderful trip..   thanks for the photos and for taking the time to share..  jt

Vipersdad

Nice report and great pix.  Hopefully Door County is my next stop sometime in August.  I might try and time it with the Tall Ships Festival in Green Bay.  Let me know if you ever want the lowdown on the Apostle Islands and Bayfield for a trip.  They have a great launch in town and the marina is very accommodating in addition to the 22 islands you can explore.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Jason

Thanks, Apostle islands are on the list!  After last weekend, I  thinking of checking out St.Martin island, Poverty Island, Summer Island, in a trip starting from Jackson Harbor.  I have also seen Chambers Island many times when out and about near Ephraim/fish creek, but have never gone to check it out, so a sail around Chambers may be in order for me as well. 

I kayaked the apostles 15yrs ago and have always wanted to go back.   Launch from Bayfield?  Any "must see" sailing spots or perfect spots to anchor?  Any specific places to avoid?

Thanks

Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

GretchenG

I'm reading this at 7:30 on Sunday morning, drinking coffee and feeling all the bruises I acquired yesterday while fitting the new bunks in my own still-in-progress '81 CP-16.  Now I'm feeling much more fired up about getting back in there to foam and fasten the bunks, start painting the cabin, etc, etc!  Thanks for sharing your adventure--