a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Dometic / Waeco CF25 refrigerator/freezer

Started by Shawn, June 28, 2013, 05:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

I mentioned in another thread I found a great deal on new Dometic/Waeco CF25 refrigerator/coolers. I ended up ordering one and it arrived today. It was factory doubled boxed and in brand new condition. Dometic has updated the controls on this unit compared to some of the older reviews. Now the 'turbo' mode kicks in automatically for rapid cooldown when you change the temp or initially turn on the unit. The battery saver settings are a menu item compared to a separate switch. Lastly, there is now a standard operation/emergency switch on the unit. Basically, the emergency position simply turns the compressor on 100%. It is to keep the unit cold if the control electronics in it die or malfunction.

As this model is DC only I hooked it into a Pyramid 12V DC adapter (10 amp) that I bought many years ago to power a thermoelectric cooler. Within 15 minutes of turning on the Dometic it was readily obvious this is nothing like those thermoeletric coolers. IME they take a little temp out of the box and it takes them hours to do it.

When I turned on the Dometic it was saying the interior temp. was 72 degrees which was roughly the ambient temperature in the room. I set it to 39 degrees and the compressor kicked in and the temp. started falling. In under half an hour the interior temp was 35 degrees when the compressor shut off, it continued to drop down to about 33 degrees. According to the specs at this temp. differential the compressor will cycle about 10% of the time and that seemed about right watching it for a couple of hours. Current consumption at this setting (per specs) is around 0.84amps an hour or about 20 amp/hours a day if the ambient temp is around 86 degrees. That is not including the cooldown when the current consumption is higher. In theory my deep cycle battery would run this for about 2 days. The 40w solar panel will put back 10-15 amp/hours per (sunny) day which would help offset the consumption of the fridge, still I am on a power deficit. However, since I day sail/overnight I think my current capacity/solar will be enough for my typical usage and the solar can recharge the battery for the next sail back at the dock. The Tohatsu is also wired in to help supply more juice when it is running. BTW, on a 68 degree days the specs call for the fridge to use about 12.8 amp/hours a day in fridge mode so the solar could potentially handle that outright.

To give the Dometic a workout I set it to 0 degrees (f) and it has been running continuously for maybe an hour and a half. It is down to 7 degrees F internally and may be at its limit. Room temp. is around 75 degrees.

I am planning on loading it at and cooling it down at home/in the car (maybe below my target temp) so that the boat power will just need to hold the temp.

As far as fitting in the 23-3 under the companionway it is going to be very close. I think the biggest potential gotcha is the height at 16.5". At about 11" into the companionway (roughly the depth of the Dometic) the rails that hold the table are roughly 16" high. Dometic is about as wide as the companionway, that is also going to be close with the power cord but think I am OK. The top corners of the Dometic are rounded off which might give me the clearance to the rails. If not I will remove a couple of inches of the storage rail on each side to get the clearance I need there. I added a 3" vents to each side of the storage enclosure to promote some airflow under there to aid the fridge.

Shawn

brackish

That is a pretty impressive initial cool down test.  That may make fooling with ice a thing of the past for you.

Alas, the 23IV will not accept it under the companionway, the only place that makes sense for placement.   The clear height is 14.25" with no width or depth constraints.  When you posted the other day I looked at the drawer model, but concluded that it was a little to small for the $ and to do me any good.  So it looks like I'm stuck with ice and back to the original plan of building a custom pull out drawer cooler.  Pity, I have reasonably reliable shore power, so could leave it on all the time when not out.

Shawn

Brackish,

I am hoping to not need to lug around ice any more. Time will tell but the initial test is promising. This will also be very handy for road trips. I have power at my dock but the boat is not wired for shore power, haven't felt the need to do it.

" The clear height is 14.25" with no width or depth constraints. "

You might fit in an Engel MT17 (14.2" height) but they are much more expensive. Those have the advantage of AC and DC input (AC priority) so it would work well for shore power.  If you can find a used one a Coleman Sterling Power cooler (13.7" height)  is apparently even more efficient.

"So it looks like I'm stuck with ice and back to the original plan of building a custom pull out drawer cooler. "

When I was searching I found a few people that took the guts out of these types of units and built them into their own very insulated ice boxes. Might be worth considering if you could purchase one cheap enough.

Shawn

Cruzin

Shawn,
Thanks for the heads up on this great deal. it looks like I bought the last one at this special price, it really was a great deal for $250! I have not received mine yet, but it should be here on Monday. I think it will work great for my needs. I noticed you have a square looking solar panel, where did you purchase it? I want to mount one on the deck and don't care for a long rectangular model. I want to find one about 40 watts. I appreciate the cool advice on the cooler deal!
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Shawn

Cruzin,

Glad you were able to get one at that price.

My panel is a Kyocera KC40T 40w panel. I believe the panel is discontinued. I bought it and the solar controller at:

http://www.emarineinc.com/

Quick search and Solar-X makes a panel the same size....

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-KC40T-Equivalent-Solar-Panel-Replacement/dp/B00535I86K

Good luck with the Dometic!

Shawn

Shawn

Success! Brought the Dometic CF25 down to the boat today and it fits under the companionway without having to alter the rails for the table storage.

I need to wire up a 12v outlet under the companionway to keep it cleaner. I have an outlet next to my electrical panel up top.

Shawn