a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tried Semco on the teak

Started by alsantini, June 05, 2014, 08:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

When I bought the Com Pac Eclipse I vowed to NOT do what I did on my P-21.  I used varnish of various types and found it labor intensive.  A guy in our marina suggested using Semco, which I had never heard of.  Since my boat was in the water already, I used West Marine bio-degradable one step cleaner on the lightly grayed teak, and once it was dry Semco natural.  I was impressed at the ease of application and today when I went to the boat, it looked great with a light honey tone to all the teak, and there is a substantial amount of teak on the boat.  Supposedly the advantage to Semco, is that it will not require cleaning just a recoat once or twice a year.  It is thin and soaks in immediately.  I had to order it from WM since they do not stock it.  Fantastic stuff.

Shawn

Yup, I use Semco too. The natural needs to be recoated a little more often than the darker colors but it is so easy it isn't a big deal. Even if you don't next season use teak cleaner and a stiff brush and you are ready to recoat.

Shawn

BruceW

I used it on the hatchboards of my Suncat back in the day. I'm thinking I'll have to make a new hatchboard for the CP 23 and will use it again. Great looking stuff. I used to alternate between the golden (I think)  and the natural.

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

skip1930

Sounds great !

I used an electric paint stripping gun to remove varnish with Sikkens Cetol Marine Light over it and a bronze mesh pot and pan scouring pad and a good pair of work gloves. That was fast and easy. Still need a tad of touch-up here and there. But it's mostly off.

Letting the teak on the CP-19 go back to ela natural grey color.  
May try this Semco.

Thanks skip.

brackish

Currently letting my eyebrows go back to natural and then will try Semco on them.  If it is successful, will go for the rest of the teak. 

It is water based right?  Is masking necessary or can small misses onto the fiberglass be wiped off with a wet rag?

Craig

Great stuff! We used Semco on Kailani since she was new. Has been on for a couple of years. Recoated three times here in SW FL. started with natural and went to brown. After next cleaning will probably go back to natural. Does not last as long as brown but I prefer the color. Yes, Semco spills wipe right up. I keep an alchohol wetted paper towel with me and wipe up any drips easily. Even dried Semco spills can be removed with alchohol. Best teak product I have used in my 40+ years of sailing. Not perfect, but the best!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

I've seen Semco applied to teak on boats.

Know others who use Semco quite regularly.

Don't like the way Semco looks on most applications.

Tried the varnish route many years ago and didn't like it. Then I read a Practical Sailor review of teak coatings and chose to use the highly recommended Sikkens Cetol Marine coating. I love the product and have used it successfully on lots of exterior teak on both large and small boats for over 25 years now. The trick is proper surface prep and initial application, followed by proper cleaning and maintenance, and finally protection from damaging UV if possible. Couldn't protect my large boats from UV, but my trailerable Sun Cat, which is covered with a WHITE Polytarp when not in use, recently received "maintenance coats" 44 MONTHS AFTER INITIAL APPLICATION OF SIKKENS. It didn't really need it but it was a convenient time to git 'er done.

capt_nemo

HJ51

Is it recommended that the eyebrows and other trim be left on when refinishing?  Since they are removable, does anyone unbolt them for this job or do you always mask around them and refinish on the boat?

wes

They are technically removable, but they are also bedded in adhesive, so you really don't want to remove them unless you were already planning to re-bed them. Plus, the eyebrows are attached with screws, not through-bolts, and the screw heads are covered with teak plugs.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina