a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mini cruiser

Started by Citroen/Dave, June 14, 2013, 06:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

I just returned from my 4th splash on Smith Mountain Lake, with my sweetheart this time.  Wind was a little bumpy after yesterday's front that had winds to 70mph. We had a great sail from Lake Haven Marina to Mitchel's Point Marina for lunch and back. I got to thinking about when the summer doldrums get here.  My sweetheart has been asking the sailing gods for a 'Swedish Summer' to continue today's weather, but I know better.  Virginia Summers can get hot and stuffy.  Which brings me to a new project.  After seeing the recent Small Boat Adviser article about a Neptune 16 sailboat modification to a mini cruiser, I got to thinking about making a mini cruiser from an old CP16 that is for sale at the Washing Sailing Marina, near Alexandria, VA.  I recall that the Sailboat Company in North Carolina has made full conversions from old hulls.  But, I do not want two CP16's and two trailers in my yard.  How about a temporary conversion on the CP16 that I have!  It might be nice to be able to picnic, fish, and swim from one of Smith Mountain Lake's Islands this summer when the wind dies, or cruise the Erie Canal for a bit.  (We tried the Erie Canal for a week from a 'Mid Lakes Navigation' 45' canal boat and loved it. Larger sailboats, with masts down, cruise the canal from the Great Lakes to the Hudson River and beyond.)

Has anyone given a thought about temporarily rigging a short mast (2by4) with temporary thee stays and a topping lift to hold up a ridgepole from which to hang a tarp similar to what I recently posted in "Modifications" [which see].  Bad weather sleeping would be below in the bunks.  Fair weather nights would be spent in the cockpit under the boom tent.  Privacy curtains could be hung all the way or part the way around as needed or for protection from the weather and sun.

Just a though  No, wait a minute! Where is my saw?
Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

skip1930

Have you a copy of Bob Burgess's book ' Handbook of Trailer Sailing' ?

Here Bob has written the do's and don'ts of living in the keys on two CP-16's. One his and one, a friends. Plus one CP-19 that Bob owned.

" Don't miss it if you can ". As to the sail yacht to motor yacht, yea sure. Why not?

skip.

mikew

Dave, I did the very same thing with my 1983 Cp-16 awhile back. I live near the Erie/ Champlain canals and wanted to cruise the rivers. I have seen the trawler conversions for the C-16 and wanted to do something similar without permanent mods. So, I added an electrical system to my boat with lights and depth sounder. A portable VHF on Ch. 13 works to talk to lock keepers. I installed a larger bimini top that covers the cockpit and overlaps the companionway to keep out rain. I use my Yamaha OB with F/N/R gears on  the bracket with tiller steering. I sleep in the cabin with contains porta-pot, butane stove and cooler. Enclosed is a link to photobucket of the boat at the Town of Waterford,NY docks- on the Erie canal where I did an overnight.
I didn't do anything with a shorter mast- but I saw a conversion where a short self standing 3' mast was used to mount an anchor light and VHF antenna. I was thinking of adding a vinyl windscreen, and side curtains, to the bimini, ( kind of like a large dodger) for cool or rainy weather.
http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/ke2ee/media/EC4.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Duckworths magazine did an article on a similar idea-terminal trawler:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/howto/terminal/index.htm

Mike

capt_nemo

Guys,

Inexpensive achievement of your dreams aboard a Mini-Cruiser is limited only by your imagination, a few power tools, and a set of common hand tools!

capt_nemo

InertBert

There is something cool about motoring with a tiller.  It sometimes makes me think of some 19th century steam launch putting around a harbor.