a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Quick tiller mounting question.

Started by Mattlikesbikes, June 08, 2013, 08:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

Just picked up a new tiller ( New H&L tiller for a Catalina 22 on Ebay for $95). Old tiller was falling apart.

Should the butt end of the tiller be flush with the rudder or could I leave a gap and just have it sitting on the lip.  It looks as though the aluminum on the rudder where the tiller mount is worn to a angle from years of use and if I want the tiller to butt up to it I will have to sand the end of the tiller to match.

I want to mount this today or tomorrow and not sure which way to go

marc

Seems to me if you have the tiller meet the rudder housing, you also would have to elongate the mounting hole through the tiller. I wouldn't mess with it. Mount it as-is and if it really bothers you, make the adjustment later.  Always good to try things out before doing anything. It is easy to cut things down but much harder to build them back up.

nies

Good advice in my opinion................nies

wes

Matt - you appear to be missing the two stainless steel plates that normally connect the tiller to the rudder and hide this joint. The plates allow you to leave a little space between tiller and rudder. Maybe another 19 guy can post a photo since my boat is 2 hours away. Hutchins can set you up with a replacement set if yours have gone walkabout -

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

carry-on

Matt,
This picture is my CP16, believe the tiller connection on the 19 is the same style .
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Mattlikesbikes

Thanks or the help guys got it mounted this morning

kahpho

I'm thinking it's not really worn to an angle. Most tillers I've seen would swing up. If it was square and flush it would be hard to swing the tiller up and out of the way when at dock or anchor. I'd mount it as is.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

skip1930

As you see on my buddy's CP-19, Peanut Butter, ~Two ss side plates, one bolt through the aluminum rudder head, two bolts through the wood tiller, butt fit but leave space for a 'up' fit, and if you like, one screw into the tiller under the tiller where it rests on the aluminum rudder head. This allows the skipper by screwing the screw in or out, some vertical adjustment on the tiller's angle of the dangle. I have my screw almost out to raise my tiller. Put the nuts facing away from the engine so you can't catch your hand or arm on the threads when pull starting the iron wind.

See that tar barge going by? I had the job at BayShip Building Company of cutting the hull's bottom out of it and making ply wood patterns, then transferring the fit to steel, than cutting the steel to shape for a fair line, grind her a little bit for a bevel, and then pulling in the keelings up through slots in the bottom with come-a-longs hung from welded in eyes inside and overhead on the half frames to stiffen the old girl up. And it's just not a flat bottom. No way! She is full of bulkheads, steam pipes, and bolted oval hatch doors that everything has to be pulled through. I could barely squeeze through them. And then to drag a stinger, a power brush, compressed air line, welding rod, a helmet, and pocket tools, and a string of lights, forget it! If she caught fire ... your dead. No way to get out in less then ten minutes of crawling. No fire extinguisher will help. If it puts out the fire, it'll put you out too. You know how hard it is to remove tar using a power brush from the innards of a tar barge before you can weld in 9/10's of an inch steel keelings? Lots of hard work! And of course the fact that it's zero degrees outside on a leaky dry dock [surf's in!] and you can't breath just exasperates the situation. Ahhhh the joys of ship building. It ain't any better at Palmer Johnson either. They'd lower me foot first on a rope into the chain locker of PJ boats to weld the inside seams of the chain lockers. Complete bull shit. Had to be a better way!

Glad your tiller is done.

skip.

nies

Carryon where did you get your bimini top?.............................nies

carry-on

Nies,
The Bimini was there when I bought the boat. I suspect the frame and tracks were installed at the factory. The hull is a '97 and the original owner had several options installed like the traveler and center-board, or maybe they were standard. Suggest you start with a call to Hutchins, they are very good about helping CP owners(727-443-4408). If they don't have the info, contact Kieth at The Sailboat Company in Richlands,NC.www.ipass.net/sailboat. He knows my boat.
The Bimini is good in the Florida sun if you are motoring or anchored. Not so good for me when sailing, restricts my view of the sails and when housed against the arch, is directly in my line of sight looking aft. I remove the frame and canvas in the fall/winter. 
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

nies

Thanks Carry On  for the info........................nies