a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cp19.....The Bobber.....

Started by MacGyver, July 01, 2013, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

So my wife and I went out to watch Carlyle's fireworks, and it was pretty nice, but COLD.....
Anyway, we set anchor (Had my wife do the engine/tiller) and set it like I regularly do, let the anchor down, felt it touch bottom, watched the water (meaning we were starting to be neutral in momentum) and then had my wife click it into reverse, I paid out so much line, then held it, felt it set solid, and tied it off while simultaneously telling my wife to put the engine in neutral.

That process being said, we are now sitting on the anchor...... the big issue is the wind was out of the same direction, and yet we continued to jerk around (a quality of the flatter bottom I am sure) and swing back and forth (a quality I will attribute to not having large enough sides to become our own sail in a sense to hold us in the same spot.....)

This all but ruined the position we had (close to the fireworks, and perfect really for position..... in our opinions..) It was a nice evening except for the turning of heads constantly, and readjusting as to where we would be sitting and such......

WHAT do you do to keep it from bobbing around? How do you keep the swaying from stopping?

I understand that the bobbling back and forth from waves just comes with the territory..... but there has to be a way to minimize the sway factor.... it is horrible.
The wind was pretty high also..... so much so it was cold to sit in the boat while it was 75 out....

Thanks,
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Billy

you talking about swinging?

That's part of anchoring. But there are a few things you can do.

Bob23 has a rider sail that he hanks on to the back stay. That helps. Maybe he will be kind enough to post a picture.

Also, the more scope you let out the more she will swing. if you are in the boat a 3:1 scope should be sufficient.

You could deploy a stern anchor, or a second anchor off the bow with both at 45degrees. That should help some too.

Otherwise, I would say......get used to it. All boats at anchor swing.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

crazycarl

jason,

i have one of those anchor sails.  never deployed it, but i'll bring to clr.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

The second anchor is a good idea, and is something I said might be needed when we kept swinging around and yanking the chain so to speak.....

The anchor riding sail is also a good idea, do they work that well?

As far as boats doing that, I would be a firm believer of that if I had seen that happening, but as far as I could tell, we were the only sailboat doing that (and we were the smallest out) in that cove.
A larger sailboat deployed downwind of us, and barely shifted around....... The rafted boats (which we planned not to do again due to the problems last year) looked like they tracked into the wind a lot nicer which I am thinking is due to them being rafted together....

Yes, I am reffering to the swinging. I expect some, but what we had was a bit wild IMO

Thanks Carl, will be interesting to see what these things are first hand!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

marc

When I've had too much swing, I have tied a dock line to my rode using a rolling hitch. The rolling hitch is usually about 6 to 10 feet off the hull. I then have led that second line back to a midship or aft cleat. By experimenting how much tension to put on this second line as well as trying different points of attachment for the rolling hitch and trying different boat cleats, I've been able to calm the boat's swing down in most circumstances. The boat will be cocked to the wind to some degree. Getting it right just takes some experimentation. Haven't done it yet on my Compac 19 but have been successful on a Rhodes 22 and Nonsuch 26.

Billy

Just another thought.....
If waves are not an issue, try anchoring off the stern. The bow always gets blown down wind but you want it pointing into the waves. No waves? Let her do what she wants and just attach your rode to the stern.

And what was the tiller doing during all this? If Uluru the cockpit you could try to counter the tiller with your foot. Not sure how well that would work though.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Craig

Have used my secondary anchor on a very short scope off the stern in addition to my primary(bow) anchor. Keeps the boat from"hunting" quite as much but does allow the boat to respond to serious wind shifts. Effectiveness is somewhat determined by the type of bottom. Takes a little trial and error experimentation. ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

brackish

The last time I attended BEER in Pensacola I noticed that these two boats, and in particular the CP23 where swinging at anchor a whole lot less than I was with the anchor riding sails deployed.  Consequently, I bought the materials to make one, but have not gotten the old round tuit yet.  Probably will be a winter project.  I think the CP23 was also helped with the breeze catcher.

wes

This is completely unscientific, but I've noticed that my 19 bobs and tosses a lot more than other boats when tied up in her slip at the marina. On a windy day when the waves are kicking up, I can pick out my boat from the shore by looking for the mast that's swaying the most. This seems at odds with the 19's reputation for stability. Can't explain it, but I've observed it. Maybe something related to hull shape?

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

kickingbug1

i think it might be the fact that it has a pretty flat bottom or might be the way it is tied up
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

Bobbing around as in swinging at anchor? Toss out the lunch anchor and cleat it off the stern. This will guarantee that youir in for a rough and wave slappy ride.
But your head will stay pointing in the right direction. Try a steading sail.

As to rocking port/starboard on the centerline? Toss out a three pound Hills Brother's coffee can on a three line bridle.
Use hydraulics to advantage. Cleat that can off the stern, acts like a shock absorber on a car.
Some times a solid bottom can works well, other times a few holes in the bottom of the can works better.

skip.