Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lighting install

Started by ahmch, June 05, 2013, 10:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahmch

Hello,
I began my lighting install today. My first mate is a great help. She fits into the bow easier.  Just thought you may like to see my goings on.  Some things may not be right, but i tried to keep things safe as far as amperage and wire gauge, fuses, and of course rules of the road.

So I am using 16g marine for the runs. 6g from the battery to bus bars behind bulkhead.
Bought standard series 25 bow and masthead lights.  LED Stern and cabin lights. I have not purchased an anchor light but might choose a LED on a pole.  Or just keep using my lantern.
I have also ordered new main and Jenny so I will upgrade to LED later.  $$$$  Am going to run bow light all night for smoke test and measure voltage in morning.
Oh yes have ordered diital voltage meter. can plug into aux port.

I created the panel from scratch just for fun. Wired it last night. Did not like it and Wired it again. Much better.  Each circuit is fused at 5 amps. the aux port is 10 amps. and the master cut off switch (the Toggle) is 20.

I need a better place than just the back of the bulkhead for main and neutral buses. Perhaps I will epoxy a plank on hull side near box and then I can work to the side instead of completely backwards.  My other thought is to put it in the well with the battery, but then I use a LOT more wire.  So will probably put bus box on hull side.

Now if I read the info on Nav Lights correctly.  Boats under 7 meters only need a powerful lamp or portable spot light to signal to approaching boats.  Here is link to my source for that. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Navigation-Light-Rules#.Ua_5COu6WE4
But this is turning out to be a fun project and there is no better way to learn about your boat then to start drilling holes in it!

Here is link to one thread here that helped quite a bit.  Thanks for this site!   Lochinvar has a beautiful setup.  Mine is much more spartan. I may have to rename my anchor  light DISCO INFERNO!  Just to keep up with the Jonses!  Seriously ther are some beautiful projects on the site and some great people.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6068.0

Will keep you updated as project moves along.

Ahoy
Andrew

Here is what I have so far.

Battery Compartment need to add straps or something

New chain and sail locker and circuit box

Wiring

Bow light install. wire inside pulpit

Masthead bracket. made on bandsaw

Lighting Plan.  I am using figure one.

ahmch

Hey
Day two and I have a small glitch.

There is a discussion already on this subject, but the pics dont show up.  
I would love to see a pic of how people solve the stern light problem.
Thanks

If I mount the flush mount stern light on the transom, it is blocked by rudder and ladder and motormount.  You can only see it clearly from directly behind.
Not exactly to specs.

So I was thinking a ploe mount stern/anchor light. Actually found one with a switch for $50.

Or I could jusssst.....................Stern light redneck style.  

Funny thing is it works perfectly and can be seen fram correct angles.

An electrician pulled four of these out from under my house....He said he left the two holding up the floor joist.

MacGyver

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

ahmch

Finishing up the project.  All in all it went OK. Not too much trouble.  Making a separate panel for the busses was just the thing.  Will also make any upgrades or changes easier.  I also used it as a sort of strain relief. 

Buses

I epoxied a piece of ply to the ceiling to have something to screw fixture into.  LED economy version from westmarine.

escutcheon

Sorry i replaced the beer can with a taillight fixture. I mounted my LED stern light inside.  Didnt like the transom mount. This should be more visible.

No Beer

Mast is wired. am using automotive connectors to go through deck.  will wire that tomorrw and I am off to Granby Colorado for some boat camping and maybe even a yacht race.  This would be a good time for my new sails to arrive....alas..

Hope this info may help someone.

Last thing is i may use my epoxy and plywood trick to make a hidden wire run along the seam inside.  right now things are neat and dont bother, but it would be easy enough to make a cornice trim with the wires inside.  Also would be a place to put hooks or net storage and stuff.

Adios
Andrew

deisher6

Hey Andrew, nicely done project.  Thanks for the ideas and the filcks.
regards charlie

ahmch

Ahoy

Thanks Charlie!  I need to get up your way someday, I miss the big water and big sky.

One last post then I am off to COLORADO!

First I want everyone to see the irony that my wife pointed out as we drove to Cochiti lake yesterday.  You just spent all that money on navigation lights for the boat when we live in Albuquerque.  "A strong flashlight will shine across the lake and your boat doesn't even have headlights!"

So I guess headlights are in order!

Thanks again for this site, found info on my tabernacle this morning and made the repair.  Looked around at anchor hanging brackets and came up with this little gem.
Swivel/snaphooks and hoseclamps.  Seems to work like a charm, cost about $8.  I think a square knot is needed for peace of mind.

Had a great sail Yesterday.  The kids both turned over the Sunfish and I had the Pram out in the same wind!  That pram is a tank!  Can't afford to flip it as it swamps and no amount of bailing will empty it.  It can't sink though.  I might try bladders for buoyancy, or just enjoy the suspense as you see the lake getting closer and closer to the gunnel

Have a great wet summer! ;D
Andrew

Anchor

Anchor

deisher6

Hey Andrew, looks as if your anchor might bang around a little unless it is secured better than it appears.  

Not in eastern MT anymore.  Will miss the upland game birds and the population density, but not other aspects of a truly rural place.  We just moved, last Monday to New Bern, NC.  I look wistfully out on the Neuse as our boat is in TN.  There were not enough trailer hitches to pull everything at once.  No more cold and ice.

Hope to be back on the water as soon as we finish unpacking and reorganizing.

regards charlie

wes

Charlie - awesome sailing on the Neuse; you'll love it. I keep my boat a little farther north on the Pamlico, but have sailed several times from New Bern down to Oriental. Glad to have you among the NC Com-Pac gang.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina