Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Propane powered outboards

Started by Frantic, September 16, 2012, 12:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Bob,

Good eye, that is a TH3. When the TH3 was closed out I picked up a pair for the kids as well. They get bitter if they don't have their "sailing hats" when we go out now. :)

Shawn

moonlight

I saw these a quite a few of the winter dealer shows, and have recommended quite a few as it thoroughly resolves the carburetor problems.  And too many times a year I have to explain how tuning a carb on a 350HP motor is much more forgiving than on 9.9.  the gnat's arse that one may be off on a large motor is insignificant with the volume of flow; the same micron off on a small motor and everything is unbalanced.
Unfortunately, the 2.5 is only offered as a short shaft right now, and a very short shaft at that, 15". so another 5" on the shaft costs almost double, but the horsepower does double!

And for those interested in electrics, we're working on a line of inboards exactly for that and the smallest will be 3.5kw which equals 5hp.  150# of batteries gives 200ah @ 24V which is north of an hours run time.  Won't cross oceans without the sails, but you can get in and out of the harbor with ease, and silence.

Nicolina

For many sailors, an electric outboard may be an even easier option than the propane. Yes, initial cost is higher and range is shorter, but for most daysailors it should work. I have a Torqeedo 1003 on a small boat (not my Compac), and I am extremely happy with it. It's silent, maintenance free, and the running costs are essentially zero. it won't work for everyone, but would probably work for many.

skip1930

Ouch! At B.P. in Sturgeon Bay; From $3.79/gallon gas Saturday to $4.19 Tuesday.
More coin to be sure! Thank you all non drillers.

skip.

Craig

Non drillers?? Not sure what you mean. Domestic production is the highest in many years. In a a few years we(the US) will be the largest exporter of oil in the world(again!). IMHO big oil is just maxing out profits. Oh, and China is bidding up prices as well! Oil producers sell to the highest bidder. Big oil would sell 100% of US oil production overseas if it upped their bottom line and we would have to pay "market price" for our own domestic oil! Drill baby,drill but figure a way to keep OUR OIL prices down instead of just selling to the highest bidder to the detriment of the American economy. This old salts opinion,worth what you paid for it!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

skip1930

In Italy we paid about $3.50 or so for a liter for gas! $14.00 a gallon!
But a $100 gets two people an unlimited rail pass for a month.
And that was about 12 years ago.

Rail pass's don't work for the U.S because of the great distances covered.
Anyone ever watch the movie 'Transsiberian', Cool movie.

The U.S. had the cheapest fuel because we had the best distribution set-up.
But somebody up-set the apple cart.

Somehow a propane powered O/B just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Here is another "Doesn't sound like a good idea to me." 29-May-2013. --> Bye bye bacon~ ?? China to buy Smithfield for $4.72 Billion.
Now. All your pork products belong to us! <-- read more on my facebook page referenced below.

skip.