- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Any Previous CP23 owners

Started by Adnoh, June 24, 2013, 08:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adnoh

Hi,
I currently own a 1984 Com Pac 23 /2 .
I have been thinking about changing to a Horizion Cat.
Have any of you made a swap like this.

I want to know about lowing the mast while the boat is on the water to get under low bridges.

Thanks
Tim

Craig

Can't speak to the swap but lowering the HC mast can be done from the cockpit using the gin pole and winch system. There is a demo video on the Compac site. You would have to go forward to release/secure the forestay. Can't think of many other boats that are that easy and they are Compacs too! ;D 

Craig
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

shamblin

If you have good shoes with gripping, non-slipping soles,  it is pretty easy to just walk the mast up and down.  I have only done it at a dock.  If you let the mast slip and it fell on some one in the cockpit,  it could kill.  I just walk it up and down but I am tall but not particularly strong.

The HC can live in a roofed slip shed away from lightening.

The cockpit on the HC feels shorter than on the 23 but still long enough to sleep out if you are 6'3"

The cabin is smaller and sleeps 2 in the HC instead of 4.

The HC head is hard to sit on for a tall person.

The HC sails well and easily in moderate winds. Tacking is a breeze.  I have not reefed the sail or wrestled with it in big winds.   

MacGyver

No matter what you do you can never totally escape lightning..... trust me...

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Adnoh

Hey guys thanks for the information.
I am reluctant to give up my 23 but current situation may force me to.
I think the HC is the best option.

Bob23

If lowering the mast while on-water is a priority, then the choice between 23 and HC is clear: you gotta go with the cat. All boats are a trade-off. I'm sure one could rig an on-boat gin pole for the 23 along with some quick release mechanisms for the forward lower and upper shrouds on a 23 that would make mast lowering a breeze.
Disclaimer: I've never sailed a HC but am a loyal 23 owner.
Bob23

brackish

If your only reason for the swap is ease of mast raising and lowering on the water, don't swap the boat, swap the rig.  North Carolina Sailboats converted a 23 to a Gaff rig using Horizon Cat parts for the mast hinge and used a Sun Cat sail for the main.  kept the jib as is.  They also powered it with a winch so that it was push button up and down.  They used to have a video of it, but I can't find it, however here is the link to the site  (go to CP23 mast raising on the left hand subject column, it is the second article):

http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/

I've actually considered the conversion, primarily to get more room under the boom  for a higher bimini.

Additionally, this article outlines a fellow with a Precision 23 that had to be able to raise his mast on the water because he docked inside a low bridge.  I patterned my system after it, and have raised and lowered my mast, on the water, by myself.  The article on the Precision:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/the-perfect-solo-mast-raising-system-for-small-sailboats

My adaptation:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3823.0

Craig

The conversion above is a very viable option. Actually if you need more power, an HC sail could be used as mentioned on the North Carolina Sailboats site. Just a word about the gaff rig. A very versatile (and underrated!) rig. The modern gaff rig is far more efficient close hauled than some"experts" would have you believe and off the wind can be superior to the Marconi rig. In addition, the lower center of effort reduces the heeling force. The gaff is a very effective and simple sail tuning/trimming tool. There are several sites devoted to the gaff rig and make for very interesting reading! ;D

PS: Gaff rig is very "salty" looking, especially  on Compacs!
PPS: If you go to the NC Sailboats site,click on "Answers" and scroll down, there are pictures of a 23 with a Suncat rig and an HC rig.

Bob23

Craig:
   Your response is quite timely! I was just, in one of my over-pondering moments, toying with the idea of converting my 23 to a gaff. And, Brack, thanks for the links! I'll check 'em out. Each spring I grow more tired of raising the mast, sorting the rigging, etc. I know it's not a hard chore, but at 6 decades old, I'm looking to simplify many areas of my life. And, not to start any rumors or anything- but I've toyed with trading my 23 down for a Suncat. I usually sail alone, don't go in the ocean and might like the trailerable option of the SC. But don't go spreading this around, gents! You know how rumors can fly like seagulls!
Bob23

Craig

Bob, You would not regret going to the Suncat or HC rig for your 23. As you may have guessed, I love gaff rigs! With the addition of the mastender system, I cannot think of a better rig for the cruising/daysailor. I have grown to love the practicality and flexibility of the modern gaff rig. May lose a LITTLE to  windward but off the wind the gaff rig shines.

Shawn

Bob,

There is a Suncat in Narragansett bay that I have seen out and sailing a few times. Nice looking boat and is pretty under sail. Have you seen one on the water? It is considerably smaller than the 23, which would be wonderful for a trailer sailor. As far as simplifying you would trade ease of mast raising for much more of a PITA painting the bottom (centerboard, inside the centerboard keel/trunk...etc..etc) if you were going to use your mooring.

Another option would be to have the people that launch/retrieve your 23 to raise/lower the mast. The one time I used a travel lift to get Serenity out of the water they also used it to lower the mast. He made it look like childs play.....

Shawn

Bob23

So many boats...so little time. Today I was out on Koinoina's maiden voyage of 2013 and it was great, to say the least. Nothing like a day on the water to cleanse the soul. As is typical for a Barnegat Bay summer afternoon, the SSE wind piped up to 18-22 knots. Nice to have the weight of the 23 when your'e sailing into 2 to 4 foot bay chop.
   One thing preventing me from converting to a gaff is the new sails I bought 2 years ago. There is hardly any hours on them. I'm sure I could sell them here at the site. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a Suncat to try out. Chances are, I won't make any changes till fall but you never know if the right deal came along.
Bob23

Adnoh

WOW!!!
I love how this forum comes to the rescue..
Thanks for all the links on Gaff rigging and for the information about the HC.
Decisions decisions..
Thanks again for all the help!