News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Sun Cat In Wama-Lama Lagoon In Sturgeon Bay, WI.

Started by skip1930, November 25, 2012, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

A home on the lagoon sold and a couple from California moved in. Shortly after Chris and Dave bought very late in the season, a used Sun Cat from a seller in Michigan and put their Capri 16 up for sale.

Here is a few pics of our new neighbors and their new-to-them Sun Cat. Looks brandy new. I'm not a big fan of planting that traveler for the main sheet where it is. In front of the hatch.

Tom Ray

That's a 2006 or earlier boat, I believe.

Ours is a 2006 and was one of the last to have the traveler in the cockpit and the strip of teak along the aft edge of the companionway slider. That piece of teak went away later that year and they switched to end-boom sheeting around 2008.

cavie

Quote from: Tom Ray on November 27, 2012, 05:41:19 AM
That's a 2006 or earlier boat, I believe.

Ours is a 2006 and was one of the last to have the traveler in the cockpit and the strip of teak along the aft edge of the companionway slider. That piece of teak went away later that year and they switched to end-boom sheeting around 2008.

It's got eyeballs too.

Bob23

Boy, the Suncat is one pretty boat. The Hutchins boys did a great job replicating the Catboat look and she still has the great "Compac" prettiness. No wonder they sell so many. Are the eyeballs bow lights? Functionally speaking, isn't the mid boom sheeting better than end boom? I'm thinking of changing my 23 to mid boom and the traveller would be in the same place as that Suncat. It's really not a problem...my son's Irwin 21 FreeSpirit has it and it's ok.
   Skip: do you live on that lagoon?
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

"  Skip: do you live on that lagoon?  " Yes those 'eye balls 'are navigation lights.

Only when I visit my boat at the dock, go sailing or hang with the neighbors.

No that is high dollar, high tax property. City fathers really bleed you for living here on the lagoon.
The docking here is free, since I built docks for all three boats.
I live on the poor side of town. Closer to Lake Michigan, mile and a half away from the lagoon and a block off the 'cut'.

LamaWamaMama

Well I finally got around to joining this group of seemingly highly qualified ComPac owners after lurking in the muck and reading everyone's posts.  Skip took the pictures of our new old boat just after we took delivery this last fall.  I'm the one in the cockpit.  The SunCat is a 2002.  Lama Wama lagoon will now have a fleet of ComPacs (5).  My parents have owned the property since the mid 1960's, and the lagoon provides a great jumping off point for sailing the whole of northern Lake Michigan.  We are hoping for higher water this year.  Our other home port is Redwood City, CA. where we sail an International 420 dinghy.  I've read Bert Felton's posts about sailing his SunCat on SF bay.  Come down the bay and put in at Redwood City.  It is much warmer and less scary than sailing around the Golden Gate, also highly recommend Tomales Bay.
Thanks for the pics Skip,
Chris K

bfelton

Chris,
Thanks for the invite to the south bay, but I keep my sun cat in the water in Alameda and have the trailer stored at a friend's on Reno.  Basically, I do not trailer the boat.

Bert Felton

skip1930

Hey, LamaWamaMama , waiting for the icebergs to melt away here in Sturgeon Bay? I know, " Can't see the icebergs from Redwood City, California."

So, checked the water yesterday and it appears to be rising about 4 inches every two days after but that's after 17 inches of snow and rain in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

Things are looking up. Soon me and Captain Rank will have the docks slid into the water and a better system for the channel markings worked out.
Can't say if Tom will be able to float into the lagoon with Whistling Swan.   

I checked the black/white pole at the mouth of the lagoon and it seemed to have weather the winter O.K..

We'll have some fun this summer. There is a rafting party planned in July/Aug where we anchor together and enjoy a yummy pot luck lunch. "Don't miss it if you can!" and of course sailing 'over seas' to Marionette-Menominee for the weekends.

Let me know if you need any help with anything.

skip.

LamaWamaMama

We hope to bring California weather to northern Wisconsin starting this weekend.  We'll have a lovely 4 day 3 night trip as we tour Interstate 80.  We have a lot of boat prep this year, so we might need some advice when we run into problems.  So we're looking forward to a fun summer.  See you soon, Chris K