a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Multiple Reef Points

Started by Vipersdad, April 15, 2013, 02:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

How many have 2 reef points on the main and actually used both of them during different conditions.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Greene

On our 23 the second reef point is an important safety factor.  We have used the second reef on a couple of occasions already.  On a 19 one reef point is probably all you'll ever use, but if I was ordering a new sail I would spend the little bit extra and get both reefs.  Thinking about a new main?

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Ted

Only one reef point and probably wouldn't see the need for 2.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

Vipersdad

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

wes

I got two when I bought my new main from National Sail two years ago. So far I have not used the second reef. When the forecast is over 15 knots we generally don't go out. But I can imagine needing the second one - there have been a couple of times sailing single reefed when I've looked up and thought "hmmm."

The cost is trivial - it's cheap insurance.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Like Wes, our 2 yr old main from national has two reef points.  I used it once, or maybe twice. But it's there when needed.

We do, OK I do, go out when winds are stronger..I like conditions to be 10-25mph! But when the wind starts to howl through the rigging somewhere around 30ish  it becomes less fun-about the time I would use two reefs to get better control. Granted if the winds were strong that day, I would be swapping out to a 110% jib on the furler, and would be reefing that jib down 30% or so (maybe a 80-90% total, guessing), therefore total sail area would be a better match for the conditions. If you do like going out on days with forecasted stronger winds, two reefs seems like the best plan, along with a reef-able jib.

I suppose if you had sensitive crew you would want two reefs to stay comfortable should the wind pipe and you're low on gas, or motor has died.

P.S. Did you happen to check out the cool piece of hardware I showed last year--a reefing shackle outhaul slide (for loose footed main)?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Shawn

I have two reef points on my 23 and have used the second point maybe 4 or 5 times in the last two years. In 20+ knot winds I have had the main double reefed and my storm jib (60%)up. The rigging is singing in the wind but it is a walk in the park, boat is fully in control, fingertip control on the tiller and minimal heeling. Meanwhile other boats on the bay are rounding up very forcefully and really struggling. Get the extra reef point, better to have it and not use it compared to needing it and not having it.

Shawn

Vipersdad

I had planned on two reef points but thought I would put this question out there and see what others had experienced.

Thanks all,

V.

Lafayette Bruce

My understanding is a standard reef on the main reduces area by 15%.  When I had my new main made I requested reefs to be put in at 10% and 20% and I have used them both.  Sounds like others who have a 2nd reef (presumably at 30%) don't use it much.  Point being... who says reefs always have to be in 15% increments?  Put 'em where you want 'em.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

brackish

Quote from: Lafayette Bruce on April 16, 2013, 06:25:30 PM
My understanding is a standard reef on the main reduces area by 15%.  When I had my new main made I requested reefs to be put in at 10% and 20% and I have used them both.  Sounds like others who have a 2nd reef (presumably at 30%) don't use it much.  Point being... who says reefs always have to be in 15% increments?  Put 'em where you want 'em.
Lafayette Bruce

Well you may have answered my question.  I wondered if you have one with a single reef point is it at the same position as the same sail with two reef points.  Seems to me my single reef point main reduces by more than 15% but I've never actually measured.  I can say that I've never sailed when I thought I would need more than the first, but would be nice to have the second just in case I get caught when conditions are such I would not normally go out.  I like the 10/20 option.

Shawn

" I wondered if you have one with a single reef point is it at the same position as the same sail with two reef points."

I haven't measured my original factory main (with 1 reef point) vs. my new main with 2 but gut feeling is the position of the first reef point is roughly the same between the two. Second reef point on the new main is much deeper than the first (and only) reef point on the original.

Shawn

NateD

I don't know if the 19 has weather helm to the same degree that the 16 and 23 do, but if it does, the second reef (at 30%) would be handy. I've used the second reef point a few times on my 23 in the past two years. In strong wind I like to keep some of the genoa out to help balance the helm and bring the bow around on tacks. With the genoa rolled up to a 100 (still a fair amount of sail) it is nice to be able to shrink the size of the main considerably to avoid overpowering the boat.

I was sailing across Superior two years ago in some significant wind, had the genoa down to about 75% (inefficient shape at that point, but we were close/beam reaching) and only 1 reef in the main. We were already cruising at about hull speed but the weather helm was excessive. I put the second reef in the main, the weather helm lessened and the boat actually picked up abut 0.3 mph. If I had a 3rd reef I probably would have tried it just to see what happened.

My next main will have two reefs, probably the standard 15%, then an extra deep 2nd reef at maybe 35%. It's clear from the other posts here that the 2nd reef is rarely used on these boats. If it is time to put in that second reef then conditions are probably strong enough to justify an extra large reef.

EclipseGuy

I had a second reef point added to my main sail this Spring. It cost $55.

I sure could have used it last Fall when I met up with some friends at Lake Monroe. The winds were howling and the single reef in my main at that time was not enough. I didn't want to miss out on sailing after driving 7 hours to get to the lake, so I sailed using that single reef and at times it was very challenging.

I figure that even if I only use a second reef point once or twice a year, it is worth the cost of having it added to my sail.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse