a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16 Trip to Nova Scotia

Started by Mack, July 03, 2013, 10:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack

I am planning a family trip to Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia and am giving serious thought to pulling my CP-16 up there.   Anyone have any experience sailing up there?   We will be in PEI for 3 days and in Lunenberg for over a week.  

skip1930

I don't believe I'd seriously consider that.
First it's salt water, rough salt water, and nothing but rocks. Nothing but commercial boating.

In college I motorcycled there on my Norton Commando 850 and camped.
My impression? Burrrrr. It was cold. Windy, damp, depressing, and worthless.

I thought of my ancestors who after they left their home country of Norway, looked long and hard for a place just as miserable as the place they left.

But hey, don't let me influence the trip. Take the boat, it's a small boat and won't be much of a problem if it never comes off the trailer.
The Canadian Mounties will check that thing for drugs.

skip.

C:\Users\Craig\Pictures\2012-07-30 Dad and Daughter and 16 ft Hobby Cat cicle Lake Superior

Mack

No offense, but I don't listen too well sometimes.  :)   Took my boat (which still needs a lot of cosmetic help) and dragged it all the way to PEI and Nova Scotia.  I never got a chance to put in on Prince Edward Island because we only had a few days and the weather was a little iffy.   However, I got a solid week of sailing in while I was in Nova Scotia and it was absolutely amazing.   I stayed in Lunenburg, but wound up putting the boat in Mahone Bay because the ramp in Lunenburg was not suitable.   It worked out to be a blessing in disguise because the sailing from Mahone was stunning.   There are dozens of islands and all kinds of places to explore.   I spent the whole week with the kids on the water!  

Here are but a few of the hundreds of pictures I took.  

jthatcher

what wonderful pics!   you sure have happy kids - that is such a blessing.     I love PEI -    I guess my experiences there left me with a slightly different impression than Skip's...  but i do like his idea of a motorcycle trip up there :) 

we would certainly enjoy some more details of the trip..  where did your journey begin?    any problems with the towing?    I suspect that you have 10 days of memories that will last a lifetime...    feel free to share some more pics  :)    jt

Mattlikesbikes

I like the mast crutch bolted to the rudder.  If I was planing to towing a lot and not keeping my 19 in water I would give that a try

Short Sale

This looks like a great trip.  And yes, that is an awesome mast crutch.
1987 Com-Pac 16/II #2454

Pat McL

Just saw this!  Fantastic!  I love the pics.  The pic with all the boats is hilarious--we are always the small one, too.  Can't wait to see more pics or as Krissy used to say, "more mas"!  Mom, Teddy B

Sam Bateman

Fantastic!! Really looks like a great time!
I have always wanted to take a sailboat up there. Not just Nova Scotia but to Newfoundland as well.
I have taken many motorcycle trips through the Maritimes over the years and that is my favorite place in the world to ride! In the warmer months, of course.
Fantastic scenery, comfortable temperatures, friendly people, and the seafood....... I've got to stop - I'm growing weak!

Congratulations on a wonderful vacation with your Family. I'm certain it will be remembered fondly for many years.

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA

CP-16

Bob23

Mack:
   What a great trip and thank you for sharing about it here!!!! I've always wanted to visit the Island and maybe this is the kick in the butt that I need. Not sure I'd bring my 23 but that would be a hoot!!! Thanks again...
   Love the group boat photo...." Hi I'm Que from Maryland...wanna go play in the water? It's my first time up here...can you guys show me around?"
Bob23

Smier

I love the shot with the CP peaking out from behind the lobster sign!

hinmo

on my bucket list: PEI/NScotia- motorcycle, bicycle, camping....and maybe CP16?

nice post