a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP19 Spindrifter setup

Started by Commander1520, October 05, 2015, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commander1520

Does anyone use a Spindrifter as opposed to Spinnaker.   I have a free jib halyard that could raise it but I think it might interfere with the roller furling system because the jib halyard is just below where the roller furling attaches to the mast headstay.  All I have is a brochure from Johnson Sails that describes "What a Spindrifter is and "How does it work".
It does say to set the spindrifter outside the headstay in order to reduce chafing and use a spinnaker halyard.   Also the tack height is controlled by a tack pennant.  The mash headstay does have a bridle looking piece in front and above where the roller attaches.  Was thinking of setting up a block/halyard system to this bridle for raising and lowering the spindrifer.   Just got the CP19 a few months ago and its my first sailboat.
Thanks
Newbee

Lafayette Bruce

I have an asymmetric spinnaker but I am not sure where the property line is between an asymmetric spinnaker and a Spindrifter.  I had to make a bracket that sticks out forward of the furler.  The jib halyard is attached to the front of the bow pulpit (or bow sprit) and tightened when not in use to keep it away from the furler. 

The asymmetric spinnaker is a handful to set so cannot be practically done when single handling.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Commander1520

Lafayette,  thanks for sharing the photo's of your setup.  I have a picture of my mast head but for some reason I can't  post it.  Any suggestions.

brackish

The asymmetric spinnaker is a handful to set so cannot be practically done when single handling.

I use mine all the time single handling.  The big difference is the use of a deploying and dousing sock.  Makes it very easy to use.  Generally, I check the wind conditions and if I know I'm going to use it, I set it up at the dock before I cast off. 

Commander1520

Thanks Commodore.  I need to check into one of these socks.  Appreciate the advice.

brackish

Notice the white bulge at the top of the sail.  That is the sock in the deployed position.  When you want to use the sail you raise the sail still encased in the sock with the spinnaker halyard.  The sock has its own halyard and after the sail is up and you want to deploy you use the sock halyard to raise the sock deploying the sail.  When you want to douse it you use the sock halyard to pull it back down encasing the sail, then lower the sail at your leisure.  You can set your jib sheets before the fact along with the spinnaker tack, they won't interfere with the use of the furled headsail.  You can also run all of the spinnaker control lines into the cockpit, although I haven't done that yet.  The idea of adding a bracket to get the spinnaker halyard block further in front of the furler is a good one to avoid fouling the halyard on the upper furler drum.  I have a ring on the furler drum to keep the spin halyard off the knob on the upper drum.  I also keep my spinnaker halyard tied off at the bow pulpit in front of the furled head sail to avoid that conflict.  

However, getting back to your original post, I have no knowledge of a Spindrifter, don't know if the dousing sock is relevant.  It does work great with my asymmetrical spin.

Commander1520

Nice setup!!!!  I believe the main difference between a Spinnaker and Spindrifter is size and the need for a Spinnaker pole.  My Spindrifter is kept in a Johnson Sail bag with a tag that is labeled Spindrifter 495-1 w/kit.   Your setup is just what I need.  Where did you get the Halyard and sock set up.
Thanks
Denny

brackish

It is called a "ChuteScoop" everything is integrated and I got it from Kelly Hansen Marine online store.  Or you can pay twice as much and get an ATN although I'm not sure what the extra money would be for.

skip1930

Looks like any other spinnaker.
I see no reason for it.

skip