a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Help with CP1911 Halyards, and Sheets

Started by BILL CHEYENNE WY, March 09, 2013, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BILL CHEYENNE WY

I recently purchased CP19ll #374, and fear I will need to purchase new line for halyards and sheets. All the blocks seem to be in the original factory location,  halyards lead to the cockpit, and jib is 150% furling.  I have the technical specs but want to confirm these with experienced owners before I order.  These specs show the following--all are 5/16" size--halyards are 51'--main sheet 56'--jib sheet 35'.  The sheet lengths seem short especially the length of the jib sheet.  I have seen one comment that 10' should be added to jib sheet so it can be led to a cleat on the opposite side.  I think this would be a good idea.  I will be using one jib line, tied to jib in the middle and leading to both sides of the boat.
We don't have many sailboats in Cheyenne Wyoming, and as far as I know there are no other CP19's. 
At this moment we are at the beginning of a storm with predicted wind of 55 mph, and 6-10 inches of snow, so wont be rigging the boat for at least a couple of months.
Thanks for your help.    Bill

MacGyver

Bill,

Welcome!
I did add extra when I rigged mine. Then I cut em down to what was needed.
I will measure them and let you know.

Ill also measure my outhaul and downhaul.

It is definitely too short in my opinion to run with the line lengths they say.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

wes

Hi Bill - welcome to our happy little band. I too have a 19, and I opted to just order a full set of new running rigging directly from Hutchins. The price is reasonable, and you are guaranteed each one will be the correct original factory size and length. You get halyards, sheets, mainsail downhaul, outhaul and reefing line, and even the rudder "halyard" and "downhaul." Everything is whipped and ready to go. The price in 2010 was $215. Important to tell them you have the 150 genoa since it requires longer sheets than the original job (I messed up the first time). Matt in the parts department can fix you up - matt@com-pacyachts.com.

Looking forward to your adventures - lots of 19 guys here.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

skip1930

In reply:

Hold ctrl key down and tap + key to enlarge font. Hold and tap - key to shrink.

A few minor changes to this document about my particular boat aside from extra length added to some lines.
All 12 volt lamps are now LED. Factory cabin light is white or red selective from West Marine.

Additional items to be stowed on any boat. I use two three ring notebooks. One for documents. One for manuals. All sheets in proactive clear covers.
~Boating regulations and boating handbook for the state the boat is registered in.
~DNR Boat Registration or Yacht Documentation. Display current registration sticker on hull.
~The Wisconsin Certificate of title and Registration for boat trailer.
~Copy of latest U.S. Coast Guard and U.S.P.S. Vessel Safety check. Display current sticker on boat.
~Com Pac Yacht owner's manual. A spare parts list and price sheet.
~Harken Furling Instruction manual. Spinnaker and shoot scoop. Sail tell tails. Pamphlet of knots. Quick charts, Phone book and cell phone. Zip loc & Garbage bags.
~Bill of sale and part numbers for every thing ever purchased for the boat.
~Electronics, antennas, engine manuals, port-o-pottys, PFD's, Tiller locks, and much more, spare pins and keepers, crimpers and El. connections, wire, general tape.
~Spare Davis anchor lamp, fuel filter, tools, spark plug, dock lines, fenders, butane hot plate, electric tape, fuel line & clamps, sharp knifes, sealants, & winch handle.
~Cooler, water, bun wad, blanket, warm clothes, first aid kit w/extras, Didi Mau abandon ship bag, flairs and gun, orange flag, smoke. Kerosene lamp. And misc. items.
~Surprisingly it all fits. Added storage in front of compression post under vee birth.

Anyone want to build a model of a CP-19? Just pick a scale [1/2 inch = 1 foot] copy/print/ blow up on a copy machine/sand a glued foam blocks to shape from these templates.  

skip.

Bob23

Hi Bill and welcome! Where does one sail out there in Cheyenne? Looking forward to hearing about your adventures...and photos!
Bob23

Salty19

Welcome, Bill.  Hope you enjoy your new 19..if you haven't sailed one before I think you'll be surprised how sturdy and safe they feel.

Your specs look correct, and yep you'll need longer genoa sheets. All the specs can be found here,

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=1093.0

A lot of sailors like to use different colors for each line to help identify them easily, and might choose different line types depending on the use. I like single braid for sheets and double braid for everything else.  With the Hutchins kit, they will be all white Sta-Set double braid.  Not a thing wrong with this, just note there are other options to think about before buying.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

BILL CHEYENNE WY

I want to thank you for giving me ideas and information.
I have had my Precision 18 at Glendo Reservoir which is about 100 miles N of Cheyenne.  I am sure I will do the same with the CP19.  By the way I will have the P18 for sale in a month or two.  It is in storage now and we are not having weather that encourages me to get it out and clean it up.
You have expressed my desires in a boat.  I wanted a boat that is more stable, has more interior room ,and furling.  The P18 lacked in all three of these.  I am now 79, and went I go to Glendo I stay at the lake for a few days and anchor out at night.       Bill