a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Propane bottle storage unit

Started by MacGyver, February 15, 2013, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I was working today with my bernzomatic torch (uses mapp gas) and was thinking about how our propane unit at work that would be good for a camping stove tend to leak, and how if I had gotten a small stove for the boat sometime I wouldnt want to store the propane in the boat.

So that made me think....... In my shop I have a small section for PVC pipe and a box of fittings from my old projects around the house.

I am thinking 4 inch pipe would probably do the job, (I would size the unit to your specific bottle needs)
And 2 caps, one at the bottom glued on and a hole drilled in the bottom.
The top cap could be sanded some at its mating surface to allow a slight tight fit but not how they normally go together.
Drill a small hole in the top one and another somewhere in the body of the unit to allow a line to keep the lid around (so you dont lose it overboard)

The height is determined by the bottle.
In essence you are building a time capsule like device........

Now, how would you attach it to the boat? It would have to attach to a rail..... or something like that....
not sure how yet, but thought someone might be able to improve the idea a bit or know of a way......

I dont have pictures yet, as I didnt actually build it, just thought it would be a fantastic way to store a bottle or extra bottle :)

Hope this still is okay to post in DIY, :)     Thought it would be easy enough to build now just off the text.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

Shawn, on this sight has been there, done that, do a search and you will see his approach.  He attached his to the boarding ladder.

Shawn

Mac,

Instead of drilling a hole in the bottom cap I used a 4" to 3" reducer. That lets any leaking propane vent out the bottom. For the top you could use a cap, for mine I used a threaded cover to fit over. I attached it to the swim ladder with large hose clamps. You might consider drilling some ventilation holes in the pipe itself. The bottles will get rusty over a season due to humidity and condensation. Mine is sized for 3 bottles but due to the rusting I only hold two bottles as I only use about 1 a season. You can see it between the swim ladder and the rudder in this pic.

Shawn

MacGyver

Shawn,

Thanks for telling me that stuff and.providing the picture
That is much better than what I am talking about. Do you have issue with mud daubbers?

Also those clamps must be pretty big, any issues with the tail catching anyone?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Shawn

Mac,

No issue with mud daubbers but I'm on salt water. There was not much of a tail left from the clamps I used and I positioned the clamps so that they are pointing at the gudgeon with the tail away from the ladder.

Shawn

capt_nemo

Have seen several variations on the same theme. Great idea.

As a PVC Pipe DIY'er I delight in seeing others use the wonderful stuff for potentially limitless applications.

My most recent homemade PVC Furler for hanked on jibs was made inexpensively and continues to perform quite well.

capt_nemo

Bob23

How 'bout attaching the PVC with zip ties, Shawn? Eliminates the ss clamps and you can find some pretty thick ones at Harbor Freight or any big box store. HVAC supply houses have 'em too.
I carry one propane cannister for my grill. It lives in a zip lock bag next to my gas tank on my 23. Out of sight and protected.
Bob23

Shawn

Bob,

I don't think zip ties are UV stabilized. Sunlight will degrade them and they will fail. At least that is what has happened to the few I have used outdoors. Might be hard to tension them enough to hold the PVC solidly in place as well. Zip lock bag on each bottle might help reduce the rusting in the PVC locker.

Shawn

brackish

I use zip ties on the back stay as a poor mans flag attachment method.  The ties that have the loop that is supposed to be used for a screw to hold them in place.  I cinch two on the backstay above the pigtail swedge which will keep them from slipping down.  Have a couple of those reusable split ring things that are used in place of cotter pins on the flag, just clip it on.  Much better arrangement than those things you buy for big bucks to accomplish the same thing.  I used to use a flag pole that clamped onto the stern rail, but it was always in the way and had to be removed for mast dropping.

The first pair has lasted 3 years constantly exposed to UV.  If they will hold the propane tube it might be you just replace them every year as part of the winter maintenence.

kahpho

Zip ties can be used outside. Stick with the black ones though. No other color is UV resistent (in tiewraps). Notice I said UV resistent, they will still fail in time. UV gets just about everything in the end. I've used some heavy, thick black ties that lasted more then ten years out in the sun and weather.

I like the PVC storage locker by the way. Very neat solution. I think I will be doing that myself.

mel
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Shawn

"I use zip ties on the back stay as a poor mans flag attachment method."

The PO of Serenity attached the split rings to the backstay with tiny hose clamps. :) He cut off the tail on them.

Shawn

skip1930

The standing rigging on all Com-Pac is stranded wire rope.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM--> Any Metal Clips, Rings, Wire used to attach a flapping and working flag back a stay will saw it's way clean through the wire rope.

This thing sawed through one and one half strands in one season.
What ever is whipping back and forth across the wires must be softer then the wire. It can not be the same hardness, ie, steel on steel. Stainless steel makes no difference.

I had the boat yard build me a new wire stay. So glad only one stay had a flag on it.
Now I use a continuous looped 3/16" braided line running through a tiny block at the masthead and tied to the stern pulpit.

skip.

capt_nemo

DITTO on kahp-ho's BLACK ZIP TIES. The heavy duty black ones, available in several lengths at big box hardware stores, are UV stabilized and state so on the package. I've used them outside in flower beds (direct sunlight) with success.

On our boats I would use several fastening points, and check them for strength periodically, since they too will ultimately weaken in prolonged exposure to UV.

capt_nemo

NateD

I have one just lashed to my stern pulpit. Not the prettiest thing, but it works for now.

capt_nemo

NateD,

Wish I also had a PUSHPIT to lash more stuff to on my Sun Cat, but the Factory decided that the Boom Gallows was enough hardware on the stern.

So, like you, I made good use of the vertical stainless supports to mount small hose clamp stanchion cleats for my two stern docklines, which are ALWAYS attached to the stern cleats nearby and instantly available for use at the flick of a bungee cord loop. Point of use availability helps cut down on time to launch and retrieve. My bow cleat line is also ALWAYS attached and stored looped through a forward opening of the cabintop handrail.

capt_nemo