a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heads’ls

Started by sailen69, November 21, 2012, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailen69

I have a Sloop rig sail boat equipped with a CDI FF2 furler and a 150 genoa.  I am usually single handed and love to sail in all kinds of weather.  My sailing is mostly cruising but we all want a little better performance or trimming when we can get it.  Where I live the winds can be variable through the day or are driven with changing weather patterns.  My 150 does not have foam luff strips.  I have used it from full 150 down to 110.  I usually furl it completely below 110.  The furler is nice to set and furl the sail and I think the 150 works best from full 150 down to 135ish.  I have been thinking about adding a different size head sail to the sail locker.  I was thinking about going with a 135 or a 110.  I would probably bend on the smaller sail on a high or gusty wind day and live with it or change up if the wind drops.  I have read about some sailors that use a furler and generally use a size sail depending on the season / prevailing conditions.  I don't think people change a furler head sail thru the day.
I would like to have a full selection of hank on head sails and a crew but that is not the case.  The furler has advantages as well and I will be sticking with the CDIFF2 on this boat.  
I was wondering what other sailors experience, equipment, ideas and opinions are for a few questions.
For a Sloop rig:
If you only have one head sail, what is it?
What would you choose if you could only have one head sail?
What would you choose as a second sail option?
Does anyone with a furler change head sails?
Any other pointers for head sail inventory / selection?
Thanks for your input,
Rich

Bob23

I'm sure you meant "my sailing is mostly cruising" not "mostly cursing". My 23 has the same setup and my sail reduction program is: Wind above 15 knts: first reef in main. 15-20: Take a few turns on the genoa. 20-25: 2nd reef in main and another few turns in the genoa. Above that, l'll either completely furl the genoa or the main, depending on my point of sail. I like playing around with different combinations. Had a great sail this fall when wind was 20-30 from behind with only a full genoa! She was very stable.
I'll be checking this thread for more info myself.
bob23

wes

On my 19, I started with only a 150 and it was a great sail for lakes in my area where the winds are light and variable, and worked OK at the coast in the heat of summer. But when I started sailing year-round at the coast, the 150 was often too much sail - specially in the fall and spring when winds can be gusty. After considerable discussion with Dirk at National Sail, I recently ordered a 110 and had it made in heavier fabric (5 oz, same as my main, as compared to 4 oz for the 150). I've been very happy with this combo. The 150 and 110 give me choices that seem to handle most wind conditions. I fly the 150 if the forecast is anywhere up to 10-12 knots. Above that, I reef the main and fly the 110. Above 18 knots I stay home and watch YouTube videos about sailing  :).

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Hi Rich!  Hope all is well.  Here are my thoughts:

For a Sloop rig:

If you only have one head sail, what is it?  n/a
What would you choose if you could only have one head sail? Probably a 145-150 but that's speaking to Compacs. Others may need smaller if more tender.
What would you choose as a second sail option?  I chose a 140 and 110 with the furler. I've changed them under sail, but only twice. The 140 gets 3-4X more use. Similar to Wes, I also used National Sails and have the same fabric weight.
Does anyone with a furler change head sails? I've done it twice under sail and probably every 4-5th sail at the dock based on conditions, crew and my attitude for performance vs. comfort that day. I imagine you'll be changing it on occasion too--really depends on the winds from day to day.
Any other pointers for head sail inventory / selection? Doing it over again, I would get a 150 and 110, not a 140 and 110.  Also  we LOVE our 170% nylon drifter, which is not furled on but rather flies at three points. Great for light air and it's easier to setup than swapping out headsails on the furler (nothing to take down, you just leave the headsail furled).  We can't closehaul quite as tight as with the 140 but without it the lack of forward drive and consequential leeway outpaces the lost pinching ability so it's not a disadvantage afterall. The luff has pre-streched line acting as the luff wire. The head is attached to a halyard off a block on a mast hound, bolted in below the headstay for furler swivel clearance. A loop on the tack is clipped to a snap shackle which has a pin through two chainplates which are in turn bolted to the bowsprit, a few inches aft of the headstay attachment. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes to setup singlehand once you're ready with the tack and head identified to pin them, and run the clew sheets. They are also not terribly expensive since Nylon is a much cheaper material than Dacron but probably will need an aft sheet lead block or two for best foot and leech tension so that adds cost.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

sailen69

Oops to all there....   Thanks Bob23, "my sailing is mostly cruising".  I am mostly cursing the auto correct.

Wes, your description and experience fits with many of my conditions.  Hopefully I will be seeing some of those coastal conditions myself some day and have the right equipment needed.

Hello to you Salty19.  I think you have a Harken furler?  It looks like a nice set up.  I already have the CDI, so I will keep that on this boat.

I have been thinking about adding a 110 jib.  My 150 is in good shape and I don't want to abuse it or put too much load on the rigging and boat in heavy weather.  I enjoy sailing on all days, except when lightning.  I don't want to sound reckless, dangerous, or not respectful of Mother Nature, but just because the wind is blowing hard doesn't mean I won't go out.  Keep in mind the crew, boat, location, and weather.    Or perhaps I may be out on a weeklong cruise with changing conditions.  This is why I am thinking about adding a second head sail to the inventory.

I would love to add a whisker pole too.  Maybe that has come up somewhere or could be its own topic.  

Next, I would like to think about a drifter or spinnaker.   I have adopted the idea that I will always be spending money on my sailing habit.  I am just trying to keep it in a budget and priority.  

Thanks for the input and ideas.

Rich

Eagleye

This is a great thread that I'll be watching closely as I am at a point where I need to consider a second sail.  The Eclipse comes through with just a 115 heads'l (on a CDI FF1 furler) so on light days sailing can be limited.  I do understand though that as a beginner I was satisfied learning with just the 115.  A lighter 150 is starting to look attractive and reading your post as to the ease of changing from one to the other is giving me the confidence that I need to head in that direction.

My last sail was single handed and was also in 25 to 30 winds.  I reefed the main to its only point and furled the 115 about half way.  Needless to say I struggled trying to point into the wind but that was from my own inexperience.  I have no concept of how well the Eclipse performed with that setup, as I have nothing to compare it to other than I am here talking about it.  Running downwind though was an absolute rush!

I don't think I'm ready for a drifter or spinnaker yet but we have all winter to ponder that.  I am curious if any Eclipse owners have changed their heads'l?

Thanks for the post and the information. 

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Shawn

Rich,

I sail in Narragansett Bay where the wind is often double digits. My head sails are all hanked but for me...

"What would you choose if you could only have one head sail?"

Probably something like a reefable 120% that could be reefed down to around a 80%. Next year I may talk to Dirk about a sail like this. Would allow me to adjust for conditions a little easier than swapping sails.

My current sail inventory is a 50% storm jib, original 110 jib, an older 130 jib and a 1.5 ounce nylon 170% drifter (hanked on for better upwind performance) and an asymmetric spinnaker. Up until last season the two sails I used the most were the 50 and 110. Last season with the new main (with 2 reef points) I was using the 130 quite a bit more.

On really light wind days the drifter is great, allows me to keep sailing while most everyone else is motoring. Spinnaker is fun for downwind but since adding the drifter (and whisker pole) I haven't use it. Given the choice between a drifter and spinnaker I'd recommend the drifter as it is more versatile.

In 20+ winds I had the main double reefed and the 50% up. If you ignore the wind whistling through the rigging and all the other boats rounding up all over the place it felt like sailing in 8 knots of wind. Two fingers on the tiller was all that was needed. I've also gone out with only the 50% up and it actually drives the boat pretty well (4ish knots) and can even tack if backwinded.

Shawn

wes

Hey Rich - just wanted to add a couple of thoughts.

First, I bought a small Forespar whisker pole (the 6'-12' one, from Defender) and added a ring on the mast to attach it. Others here have mounted a track and car, which definitely adds flexibility but also cost. When I am flying the 150 in light air, I use this often for downwind sailing and have come to love the way it keeps the big genoa from flopping around or collapsing. A nice addition, and it has allowed me to continue to avoid learning how to fly a spinnaker  :).

Also, want to clarify that like you I have the CDI FF2 furler, and I don't change headsails on the water. As you probably know, this requires bending on a temporary line to the stubby internal jib halyard, and then tensioning the new sail with the downhaul in an awkward location out on the bowsprit. I prefer to manage this at the dock before I head out, based on the current and forecasted wind. If it turns out later that I'm overpowered, well, that's when the furler comes in handy.

You will find that the 110 works so much better than a heavily furled 150, by the way. Much better sail shape, better comfort and control, less stress on the furler and control line. Highly recommended!

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

capt_nemo

Hey guys,

Having had several good sized sailboats in the past, recommend you TRY sailing in heavy winds with ONLY full headsail (like 110 or 130) and NO reefed main, and see how your boat handles (balances). Some do rather well. You may be surprised! Otherwise, balance the sailplan the best way you can.

capt_nemo

brackish

Rich, I have a 110 and a 135 and an CDI FF2 furler.  about the first of November I put on the 110 and I leave it on until about the first of May.  At that time I put on the 135.  The wind conditions are about right seasonally for that selection.  If it gets real light with the small sail on, I use the asymmetrical.  Sometimes it is not perfect but it works most of the time. 

skip1930

sailen69 asks, skip answers:

For a Sloop rig:
If you only have one head sail, what is it?~155% Lapper
What would you choose if you could only have one head sail?~155% Lapper
What would you choose as a second sail option?~None. Opt for the Harken '00' AL furler unit to reel in square footage up front.
Does anyone with a furler change head sails?~Not on my boat unless you count the asymmetrical spinnaker.
Any other pointers for head sail inventory / selection?~Not here.

Note: On really breezy days I sail on the 155% Lapper head sail only. Once in a while I'll furler some of this sail in. I have put the lee side rail into the water and washed water over the cockpit sole and out the scuppers with the main sail still tucked away on the boom. Additionally, a shortened main sail with fully deployed head sail offers smooth sailing in big winds for a Com-Pac 19 without rounding up. I use a IdaSailor foiled rudder.

skip.

Salty19

Rich, We use the Harken 00AL furler.  It's a bit easier to remove and replace headsails than the CDI as the head is attacked via a snap shackle on the furler swivel, the tack also has a snap shackle near the drum to make attaching it easy. No internal halyard. Just drop the normal halyard and unclip two snap shackles.  Takes about 10 minutes at the dock, most of the time is folding and unfolding the sails.   Feeding it up the track is pretty easy, we keep it clean and lubed. When I did it on the water, I tethered myself to the whisper pole mast ring (which I also recommend for the reasons Wes mentioned).  Of course I worried not about folding sails while on the water when the wind was piped up.  I have to think a simple system can be adapted for the CDI's to make it easier to swap out. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

i can attest to the fact that rich is not intimidated by wind. his boat should be named "crossfire hurricane"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

ribbed_rotting_rusting

There is an article in Sail Mag about a Solent Stay which is a 100% jibsail that is permanently attached usually using a fabric stay and leaves the furler attached and fully usable. I believe it is Jan or Feb issue. Apparently this set up is so popular in France and the UK that french boats come with it standard issue as well as some UK builders. It might address some the issues in this series of posts, and apparently while not completely without cost is pretty low cost as most sailore who are concerned about this issue probably already own the necessary equipment.